Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Made-Up names

Made-Up names

I saw a thread on here not long ago that was about made-up names but it turned into sort of an argument. I'm restarting it as more of a general discussion rather than rant.

I can appreciate made up names. I know that's very un-berry of me, but there are some neat ones out there. I've made up names for my books. The one getting published has two a few made up names.

In my novel, I have Etrean (G -- eh-tree-an), Elenwen (G), Lorok (B -- lo-rock), Yerath (B -- yeh-rath), Tinan (B), Erest (U -- eh-rest)

I think they're pretty good. I followed phonetics and with Elenwen, since it's meant to look Welsh, I followed the wen/wyn ending rules. I think made up names can work fine when you follow proper naming rules. Like someone said on the other thread, I could make my own meanings for them if I wanted.

Elenwen -- Girl -- Based on the two pieces of the name, could mean "white, shining one" or "fair, shining one"

So, not only thoughts on my own made up names, but I'd love to hear yours too and just general opinions.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I kind of separate made-up names into two categories: cheerleader names and general made up names.

The former category is (usually) the names i find ridiculous...things like McKaybree or Jaxzvon. Most of the names in this category are "kree8ively" spelled or heavily involve the letters k, y, x, and z. Its called the cheerleader category because the people i know who name their kids these names are either former cheerleaders or have no greater aspirations for their children beyond wanting the girls to be cheerleaders and the boys to be football stars.

The other category of more general made-up names is very small and usually consists of people trying to smoosh names to honor multiple people. Names like Emmeliese fit in here (honoring an Emily and Anneliese, i assume). I don't find these names horrible, nor do i particularly love them.

I don't think inventing names is the worst thing ever but in general i think most people are poor name inventors. Writers seem to be better at it (Shakespeare and Neil Gaiman come to mind). Mostly i just think there are millions of names already out there, so i don't understand the *need* to create a new one for myself. If other people want to, its fine, but i do sometimes wonder whether they're that type of parent who thought their kid was too unique/special for a normal name.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

great topic!

i think made-up names are a controversial topic since all names were made up at some point. sometimes "random" respellings of accepted names make these sound made-up too, although i think there's a big difference between random respellings and conscious name inventions.

since you're mentioning names from your novel, i think they're all great. Tolkien, obviously, made up all his names and yet they seem totally legit for some people to use it. i think sometimes people don't consider made-up names until someone shows them they're actually usable.

another point to consider, i am of European heritage, and if i wanted to use any family names at all i would have to adjust the spelling. does that turn these names into made-up names?

I agree about the weird spelling names. They aren't what I'm referring to. Those are just...weirdly spelled. Alykzandreh, no matter how terrible it looks, is still Alexandra. VC, I don't think changing a spelling constitutes made up names, nor do I always find changing a spelling to be awful either. The above spelling is terrible, but taking Amelia and spelling it Emilia isn't an issue.

I wouldn't use my made up names on a baby, but maybe one day someone else will go "Man, Elenwen is very pretty." Or "I'd love to have a little Etrean."

Also, for my new writing project, I made Lettlyn (which is trendy, "cheerleader" type and that's what I needed for him) and Sindalain, which I think is great. I used Anese in another book, which I'm pronouncing ah-ness so I need to tweak the spelling there.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

what about "word names"? are those made-up names since they are not "technically" names unless they've been used by at least one person?