Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Names of old childhood friends: Fonya and Sagelle ??

Okay, so I figure most, if not all Nameberries are going to hate these made-up names, but I'd still love to hear some opinions.....

While packing up to move across country (fun, by the way), I was looking through old yearbooks and childhood photos. I was looking at names of some friends and classmates. It's interesting because as a kid I never gave a second thought to anyone's name. I had no idea that I had gone to school with such interestingly named people, such as....

-Fonya ("fawn-ya"): I have no idea how she got her name. I wish I could ask her now (we lost touch after high school). It's not a foreign name as far as I know. I figured her mom liked Tonya (or Sonya), but put a twist on it.
    -Sagelle ("sage-uhl", not broken up like SAGE ELLE, but more like one syllable if that makes sense): Again, not a foreign name to my knowledge. I figure this could be a twist on maybe some sort of surname from the family tree maybe??? I'm not sure how her name was spelled, as we went to church together as very young kids, not school. I only know how her name was pronounced, so I assumed this spelling.
    -Kelesi ("kuh-lace-ee"): This girl was from Tonga and was so sweet. I don't think her name is Tongan though. Lacey was popular in the 80s, so maybe her mom put a spin on Lacey ??

So, what do you guys think? I don't think I would ever use Kelesi, but Sagelle and Fonya... perhaps.
    Last edited by beautiful_haiku; September 11th, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
    James ~ Ariston

Aurelia ~ Sidra ~ Elizabeth ~ Gia ~ Julia

The others I hold close.... Quade ~ William (Liam) ~ Dresden ~ Giordana ~ Lydiana ~ Laurenza ~ Vivara ~ Fonya ~ Sagelle

Fonya - it's pretty close to other names like Fania, Fawna/Fauna (a Roman goddess). I'm not a fan of the spelling. It sounds better than it looks written on the page.

Sagelle - this is interesting and probably my favourite of the three on your post. It could be a smoosh of the feminine suffix -elle with Sage. Or it could be a female version of a similar name Sachiel (an angel name). I automatically split the names up into two syllables but I really like it much better as "sage-uhl".

Kelesi - This one reminds me of the name Khaleesi from the Game of Thrones. I remember a Canadian-born tennis player named Helen Kelesi who was coached by her father Milan so I know it as a surname (I can't recall where her family originates - whether it's Hungarian, Slovak or Greek). Kelesi in Hungarian means "a person from Keles" which is a province in Turkey so there may be a Turkish connection too. I think I'll stop there because I'm getting confused!
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Thanks for replying.

Yeah, I wish I knew how Sagelle spelled her name because I could probably google it and easily find her. Even my mom who can't remember anything remembers her name lol

I guess it could be spelled Sajelle or Sajel... Hmmm, I need to do some googling
    James ~ Ariston

The others I hold close.... Quade ~ William (Liam) ~ Dresden ~ Giordana ~ Lydiana ~ Laurenza ~ Vivara ~ Fonya ~ Sagelle

Okay, I did some Googling, I there is an Indian name Sejal, which sounds just like her name. I always thought she was African American, but I guess she could have been mixed with Indian and I never knew it. So perhaps her name is Sejal or some other spelling close to that.

I still like the spelling Sagelle though
    James ~ Ariston

Fonya and Sagelle are meh. Okay. But I actually sort of like Kelesi! It seems reminiscent of both Kelsey and Lacey, but much fresher and unexpected.

I feel the same way, btw. I actually think about the people I have gone to school with, and I am like, "How did I not realize these were weird names?!" Names like M@rwayne (a smoosh of his parents' names, Marsha and Duane), Jordana (not completely out-there, but it was never that popular!), Sebastian (which is popular now, but he's still the only Sebastian I've known personally!), Ioana, Augustus (lol, I saw the yearbook, and didn't even remember going to school with an Augustus! And my school was incredibly small, haha), Mariela, Dawson, etc. And my siblings have just as many from their classes. Ivelisse is one I can think of, off-hand. And there are just as many little kids in my church and its ministries with made-up, or strange names: R@hasha, K@biliyza, D'Morn@y, Thoujm@rie, Nor@lys (pronounced like Nora-Lise), Ch@ntique "Tique" (pronounced like Tiki), Jonas, etc.

No wonder I have no problem naming my daughter Isabelle; it's nice to have normal amongst all that! I like that the names of the people I know are so varied, but maybe that's why I gravitate toward the familiar in my own tastes.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Grace + Eleni
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Caspar + Grant + Rory