Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Cora

Cora

Hey there!

So for a girls name, my husband and I are almost 100% set on Cora. We both absolutely love the name. And most of our family loves it too. The thing is, when I tell people we like Cora, EVERY SINGLE PERSON has said 'oh, that is an old name!' It isn't necessarily said in a negative way. But it seems everyone knows a Cora who is very old. Has anyone else come across this?

I love it because it is a vintage name. But I have never met an elderly Cora- I picture it as a young, fresh name! Wondering what you all think?

I think Cora is beautiful! I've never met an older Cora, only a couple in the toddler set (and of course there's Lady Cora on Downton Abbey). Go for it! It's lovely.
    Mom of one angel baby boy, Gabriel Benjamin, and one baby girl, Rachel Naomi

The girl on Titanic was Cora. I've never personally met a Cora. It is an "old" name in the vintage sense but everything vintage is in style right now so I wouldn't worry about the "old person" association sticking.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

That's exactly why they say it's an old name, because it is vintage. That means old and young alike (for the most part) will like it. I love it!

I am a big fan of Cora for personal reasons. It's a lovely name, but not young - it has a lot of history. Firstly, Cora was a daughter of Zeus who later became Persephone. There were Coras in Fenimore Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans, Faulkner's As I Lay Dying and so on. It's not very fresh either, because it's #155 in 2012 so somewhat popular but still beautiful.