Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Irie...

Irie would be eye-ree for me. It works as a nickname for Iris but not Isadora.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Eerie is a GP name of mine. (Yes, yes I know. But I still think it sounds interesting and lovely). When I read the heading I thought you were just spelling it differently.

I agree with pp's Irie could be a decent nn for Irene or Irena or Eirene.
    Other suggestions could be Irati, Irmgarde, and Irsaline.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

I'd probably end up nicknaming Aira, Irie.

I think Irene or Irina are probably the best suggestions if you're looking to use it as a nickname though.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Irie makes me think of Rastafarians which isn't a bad thing at all, but I do think a lot of people who pick the name are interested in aspects of that culture & think of it as a name that is evocative of smoking marijuana & getting irie.

Are you interested in that meaning or just the sound? The meaning is wonderful, it means good, great, I'm good, ect, not just "I'm high" but I think it is misunderstood to mean "I'm high" to a large group of people. I think that longer names like Irene, Irena, Iris all work well. Isadora has so many more intuitive nicknames but I wouldn't fight you on it if you introduced me to Isadora nn Irie, it just isn't what I would do.

I think Irie works great as a middle and Isadora Irie is awesome if you don't mind alliteration. The I and I together with the middle name Irie I would assume you had some ties to Jamaican culture.

I wouldn't say it is misunderstood to mean I am high.
    It really does mean no worries, stress free.

However having been to the Rastafarian community in Jamaica, all you smell is weed as they are always lighting up and they are very serious about their pescatarian-ism (they eat fish which they do not see as an animal so they are not vegetarians). So culturally it is a by-product of being associated with the rastafarian community. The 'I and I' (if you go that route) would definately give the impression you were intensely interested in the culture.