Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
    I understand when it's a name you love it can be frustrating and hurt your feelings to hear that, especially when you know it's not true.

But I do think there's a distinct criticism there. Whether it's actually 'made-up' in the strictest sense or not, if it sounds made up there's a good chance that people in the real world will respond to it as though it's not a valid name--as if you made it up.
    Your child's teacher is unlikely to do extensive research on the medieval history of your daughter's name--she'll just lump her in with the Macinzee's and Nevaeh's and treat her likewise.
    true, but, any teacher who treats a child differently because their name is 'made up' or weird can, (and if the parent can prove it, will) be fired or penalized for prejudice and unfair treatment towards the child. I highly doubt any teacher would judge/lump a child with these namesin with the Macinzee's and Nevaeh's, because Macinzee's a yewneek spelling of an already common name, and Nevaeh is a word backwards. Ismeria/Ismerie and Merewen don't fit in to either of those categories.
    “poetry, beauty, romance, love - these are what we stay alive for.”

currently under construction

http://delighfullydoris.blogspot.ca/

I don't think made up names are a terrible thing...there's whimsical Wendy from Peter Pan, the silly but fun Trilby, several names pulled out of Shakespeare's imagination.... but most people don't have the poetic inspiration of a Shakespeare, and when they try to be creative, we end up with names like Inspektor Pilot. There's a fine line there somewhere.

So back then when everyone spoke Latin, somebody made up the name Margaret based on some word that existed. How is that different than someone making up the name Nevaeh based on the English word Heaven?

It's not any different.
    Last edited by ummokayyeah; September 9th, 2013 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by girlymegz View Post
    This surprises me that people do that. Part of the reason I love being on the nameberry forums is discovering new names I have never heard. I have read every list on this site and love to browse through all the names alphabetically, but there are still hundreds of names I haven't heard. When I come across names people have posted, that don't have a link to them for their meanings/origins, I try and look it up else were.
    Thank you for the link to Ismerie/ismeria. I wouldn't have found anything out by myself. Both are gorgeous names by the way.
    Thank you. I love that too, and I found it a bit surprising to see other names get positive responses, yet, I would've listed them the same as Ismeria. You're welcome! Elea is amazing at finding out information on names! All the Name of the Week posts she makes are as in depth as they can be, it's fantastic!
    “poetry, beauty, romance, love - these are what we stay alive for.”

currently under construction

http://delighfullydoris.blogspot.ca/

Amen, sista!

I like Nameberry because you run into fewer of the "I haven't heard it so I don't like it and it must be made up" types. Really, it's just ignorance/laziness. Ignore 'em and forget 'em.

I liked Merewen until someone pointed out that it sounds a bit like "marijuana"...but I do love Maiwenn and its variations. In a wonderful coincidence a few hours after I figured out that the Maewin spelling can be interpreted as "devoted friend", my husband randomly asks, "How about M-A-E-W-I-N, can we spell it that way?" Buhahahahahaha. Why yes dear. Yes indeed...
    Personal Favorites: Mira Cairdeas and Darrow Paine

Best Wishes To All