Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Rant about 'Made Up' Names.

I've run into this problem quite a few times, so now I'm saying something. Forgive me if I insult anyone, but I'm growing VERY tired of people calling a name 'made up' simply because they haven't heard of it before. Also, just because Nameberry doesn't include it, doesn't mean it is/isn't a name. EVERY name was made up at some point, so arguing that it's made up isn't exactly a valid point to be stating.

My rant particularly focuses on the names Ismeria/Ismerie, and Merewen. Every time I include them, a large amount of comments say it's a made up name, or something similar. First of all, neither are made up. Both are actually medieval names, as pointed out by Elea on British Baby Names. (britishbabynames.com). I'll post the link to her Name of the Week posts about each name, so that way you all can learn some background on them.

I think it's fair to say a name such as Renesmee is made up, because, it was. A name with 0 historical usage and 0 origin behind it would be considered a made up name, but, simply because you've never heard of it, doesn't mean it's a made up name. I had never heard of Antigone before grade 12, but when I first heard it, I didn't write it off as a made up name, I did research on it.

Again, sorry if I've offended anyone, but I find it very nerve wracking when people write off a historic name as a modernized, made up name.

Ismeria/Ismerie

Merewen
    Last edited by lawsonhaley; September 9th, 2013 at 06:48 PM.

LawsonHaley,
    I understand how you feel. I've been 'told' certain names are made-up, spelled wrong, or only a boys name or strictly this or that.
    My mom's name is Laurette. Not Loretta, not Lorette, but with an au and no a sounds like et and is legit! lol
    I don't think this happened with my mom's name here, but I know what you mean.
    Ismerie is a name I actually never saw or heard of until last night when I responded to one of your posts and it is growing on me I must say.
    I am the same as you in regards to a new name-I will view it as new to me, not 'non-existent' , and then look it up out of curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by ashleyjuliette View Post
    LawsonHaley,
    I understand how you feel. I've been 'told' certain names are made-up, spelled wrong, or only a boys name or strictly this or that.
    My mom's name is Laurette. Not Loretta, not Lorette, but with an au and no a sounds like et and is legit! lol
    I don't think this happened with my mom's name here, but I know what you mean.
    Ismerie is a name I actually never saw or heard of until last night when I responded to one of your posts and it is growing on me I must say.
    I am the same as you in regards to a new name-I will view it as new to me, not 'non-existent' , and then look it up out of curiosity.
    Thankfully I'm not alone! Laurette's lovely, it appears French to me so I'd assume it's a French variant of Lorette/Loretta/Laura. I just don't find it fair to write off a name as 'made up' or 'trashy' without looking into it a bit further. I always do if I'm skeptical on a name's origins.

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonhaley View Post
    EVERY name was made up at some point, so arguing that it's made up isn't exactly a valid point to be stating.
    I'm with you on everything but this. This particular argument is invalid The vast majority of names we think of as traditional and legitimate have etymologies and can be traced back to other names and other words, back and back and back across continents and hundreds of years to an original root.

For example:

Obtusia - a 'name' I just totally pulled out of the air.

Margaret - a name with a family tree: http://www.behindthename.com/name/margaret/tree

No one simply decided that 'Margaret' sounded good so it should be a name.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    I'm with you on everything but this. This particular argument is invalid The vast majority of names we think of as traditional and legitimate have etymologies and can be traced back to other names and other words, back and back and back across continents and hundreds of years to an original root.

For example:

Obtusia - a 'name' I just totally pulled out of the air.

Margaret - a name with a family tree: http://www.behindthename.com/name/margaret/tree

No one simply decided that 'Margaret' sounded good so it should be a name.
    That's very true. I was having a hard time explaining, but what I meant was what you pointed out about Margaret, all names come from somewhere, and I'm sure there are a few that are popular now that were 'made up' *cough* Nevaeh *cough* LOL. Thank you for pointing that out though!