Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    None of my children are big tv viewers. I don't see a need for the babies (8 months) to watch at all. There are plenty of other ways to entertain and interact with them. The toddlers (3 in December) watch a few hours a week for something different to do. My older girls are about the same - a few hours a week- maybe a little more if we do movie night (parents + big girls) one evening or they have movie night/afternoon with friends. They like playing, reading, doing other things much more than tv. Me... now I'm personally a tv junkie. I really only watch it in bed at night once the kids go to sleep though -- especially because that's my alone time and my DH works nights a few times a week. I wish I wasn't such a junkie, but I'm glad the kids aren't into it.

As far as handling the situation with your mother... I've learned over the years that you do have to put your foot down as a parent. It's tough. I've had little situations like this that are easy to handle and steer how you want -- but other much larger situations where sadly I have had to tell my mother she can't see my children because of things she has done/not done. I know that sounds harsh, but if my husband and I decide something for OUR kids... their sitters need to comply with our wishes. For something like tv viewing... I would do a few things. If it was with a really young child (under 2 or 3) I would be more active in planning my mother's time with the baby. Get a new toy, a few new books (or borrow from library), or see if they can take a walk. that way your mom has something specific that you are suggesting she do - maybe even ask her if SHE would like to take baby to the library or get some books ahead of time- that way she feels more involved. If the child is older 3+, I would probably ignore a little tv time... I'd adapt the kids tv time in other situations when grandma is not around so the total tv viewing wasn't getting beyond what I thought was reasonable. I hope I explained that well- lol sorry - i'm reading that back and it sounds confusing.

Sorry, it just occurred to me that our mom might be watching your little one all day and in that case, it would be difficult to plan the entire day for her... so maybe just another reminder about your preferences about her tv viewing and then some suggestions on things that your dd especially enjoys doing as ideas.
    Last edited by crunchymama; September 9th, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
    Wife to one great guy
    Mama to six pretty ladies: Scarlett (12), Penelope (9), Alice (3), Fiona (3), Lucille (15 mo.) & Coraline (15 mo.)

& 4 angels gone before us: Christian (7 wks), Amos (6 wks), Naomi (16.5 wks), & Hosanna (6 wks)

~We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.~

Kaitedenberg, thats good to know I randomly try weaning her off th swing but she eventually gets so upset & overtired I feel terrible esp when the tears come, she never really cried or whined from when she was born if anything its a temper. Lol

Leadmythoughts, thats how this house is esp whn my step dad is home every tv is going witj no one watchong them youd think they're on for the dogs.. does he thinks its a big deal for the baby or no?

Feberin, I like the idea of it as a possible provide if it's going to be used & like I believe I sod before I understand even extra help is needed, it can be hard with even one baby to get things done around the house! Im surprised (in a good way) your younger daughterdoesn't have interest for the tv, most kids are mesmerized.

Tarynkay, I'm slowly trying to get used to doing things with her around the house. I'm glad it seems a little raid for you at the older age, Maybe I should invest in a sling. I don't think it's think its as big of a deal when it's not readily available. I also agree with your last statement about others & their decisions about it everyone has their system that works for them.

I guess my overall concern is getting to consumed by tv leading into other gadgets in today's world & not having a free imaginative playful childhood where your not consistently bored if you don't have a gameboy.

I agree. I don't have children yet, but I definitely don't want the TV on all day. It's different when they're toddlers and you let them watch Play School or something, but when they're babies it's unnecessary. I'm the sort of person who doesn't like telly to be on during the day at all. My husband and I only watch at night. However, my SIL has a ten month old and whenever I'm at their house she's got the telly on. I mean, she's watching crappy shows like The Bachelor in the middle of the day. Her mother (my MIL) is the same way. She sings the Coles jingle to my niece like it's a nursery rhyme (Coles is a supermarket chain). I haven't ever said anything, but I will when it's my child!
    Alice - Beatrix - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah

Albert - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I grew up without a TV. Not because my parents were "anti TV" or anything, we just lived really deep in the woods where cable didn't exist and only 1 channel came in clear enough to even see. When I was a kid, every time we went somewhere with a TV with cable or satellite, I was in heaven. It was literally the best thing in the world to me. I vividly remember staying the night at my grandma's when I was about 8, and staying up until almost daylight watching Cartoon Network because there was a TV in the room. I obsessed over it. Even now, I love watching TV. It's definitely one of my vices/addictions in life that I have to attribute to my childhood. Of course it's not cool if a parent is setting their kid in front of the TV for hours and hours a day and not interacting with them, but is an episode of Sesame Street gonna hurt them? No. In fact, Rowan loves watching Sesame Street and Curious George and her favorite is Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, and she has learned SO MUCH from them. She says new words all the time, she counts, she sings and dances. I also think it's given her a sense of humor (not that she wouldn't of had one, especially in this household) She cracks herself up all the time by pretending to be a monkey (George) and she laughs like the Count from Sesame Street.

I've seen it all too much...hippie parents not allowing TV or sugar or something and the kid becomes addicted and unhealthily obsessed with it. My best friend had an unnatural addiction to sugar and would literally binge when she came to my house. You can raise healthy kids and still let them watch cartoons and eat cookies once in awhile.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

@corvet - my BF did say he doesn't think we should let her watch the TV just so we could finish watching a show, and said things like he doesn't like how into the TV she is...so I think he understands how it's not good for her at this age.

I think he knows its best for her as she gets bigger to not have constant tv, and he'll suck it up and get over his screen addiction for her sake.

Also really agree with rowangreeneyes, I used to nanny a boy with no TV at home and he was mesmerized by any and all screens we came across. If we went to a store playing TV with no sound I'd have to drag him away.

I think it's also a personality thing. My brother and I grew up together with the same tv experience and he was unhealthily obsessed with TV (like would cry every time it turned off, wouldn't want to leave the house) and I could never sit through more than a half hour or so a day
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13