Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: What would you do with Javier?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep his name as is -- Javier Alexander

47 74.60%
  • Change it -- J. Alexander

0 0%
  • Change it -- Jay Alexander

2 3.17%
  • Change it -- Xavier Alexander

12 19.05%
  • Another option (Please post below!)

2 3.17%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Real-Life Renaming Question for a Sweet Little Boy!

Hi,

So, my little nephew is 2 1/2 years old now. His name is Javier Alexander. However, he is not actually of Hispanic heritage. He is a gorgeous blue-eyed blond. His grandparents (my mom and stepdad) have legal custody of him, though his mother, my stepsister, is living with them, too, and helping to raise him with them. (Yeah, I know, it's complicated.)

Anyway, I know he is getting a little old to change his name, but they want to legally change his last name to the family name since there is no father in the picture, and we had discussed legally changing his first name, too, in the past. This is a very real question affecting a very real little boy, and I'm not really sure the best way to advise my parents. What would you do?

Would you leave his name as it is because it is a beautiful name (I really do love it) and it's what he is used to being called, even though it doesn't reflect his ethnicity and opens him up to possible future discrimination? (I am not in anyway condoning this awful prejudice--but, unfortunately, it is a fact that some bigoted people will discriminate against him on a resume just because of his Spanish name.)

Would you legally change his name to something like J. Alexander or Jay Alexander, and just keep calling him Javier? (How confusing will this be in school?)

Would you change his name to Xavier, the English version of his name? (Is this too confusing to the poor little guy? Does Xavier Alexander sound bad? :P)

Do you have any ideas for another solution I haven't thought of?

The last name that he would be getting is a one-syllable English/Scottish name that begins with a P.

Thanks to the savviest namers out there, berries!

pet peeves: nicknames as given names; unconventional spellings; masculine names on girls
    not-so-guilty pleasures: five-syllable girls' names; virtue and nature names; over-the-top antique names for boys
    (if i repeat name suggestions in a thread, it's because i like them! no apologies here for repeats of great names! )

IF YOU LOVE IT, USE IT!

I honestly see no reason to change his name.

The name is of Spanish origin. Spaniards are largely diverse in looks and it wouldn't be surprising to meet a blond haired, blue eyed man named Javier there.
    Last edited by casilda; September 9th, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Quote Originally Posted by casilda View Post
    I honestly see no reason to change his name.

The name is of Spanish origin. Spaniards are largely diverse in looks and it wouldn't be surprising to meet a blond haired, blue eyed man named Javier there.
    I agree 100% with this.
    Mom to Paul, Clare, Mark, Katharine, James, and Andrew
    Future girl: Grace or Lucy
    Future boy: Peter Gregory

I say keep it! Javier Alexander is a wonderful name, glad to know a little boy has this awesome name.

It is a shame that in 2013 discrimination based on an ethnic name is still something to be concerned about. As a woman with a name that is viewed as ethnic/is usually associated with a minority racial group, I haven't experienced any issues - though, honestly, if a place of employment would pass over a qualified individual because of a name, I don't think I'd want to work for them.

That said, I think Javier Alexander is a great name. At 2 1/2 yo, I think it's too late to change his name without complication. He's already talking and has started to form his own identity, a portion of which is linked with his name. Not only that, how would you explain to child so young the reasoning behind his name change?
    * A Nameberry Nightmare*

Mr. Fry: So, what should we name him?
    Mrs. Fry: Uh, you pick. I picked dinner last night.
    Mr. Fry: Well, I was thinking of Philip. After those screwdrivers?
    Mrs. Fry: That's a great idea! More morphine, please.