Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Contessa

Contessa

I was looking at a friend's pictures on Facebook this evening and one of their friends had commented on it saying something about their daughter, Contessa, playing with my friend's child. I immediately fell in love with the sound of Contessa! I've always really liked Tessa, but felt it sounds like more of a nickname or shortening of a name. Contessa feels so much more substantial to me. But is it usable? I Googled it and it's not really considered a name. It's Italian for a female count. Thoughts?
    ~Cathryn Elizabeth~

Stay at home mommy to Benton Grover and Arwen Elizabeth.

Favorite Boys: Charleston Hawk, Gryphon Cane, Hadrien Bram, and Macsen Faucher (pr. foe-SHAY)
    Favorite Girls: Imogen Temperance, Livian Calanthe, Fern Elora, and Rosalyn Hazel

It sounds much too formal. It does have a pleasant sound, but it's not usable. I think of the Barefoot Contessa, and snobbish aristocrats.
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

I like it and I love that you are thinking of it as a more formal name for Tessa.
    Honestly I did think of 'the barefoot Contessa' who has popularized the title (though I knew it was a female count before).
    I would say definately use it if it weren't for the culinary association. I like it and think it is usable but I may wait for the other responses to see how strong the association is.

I had never heard of The Barefoot Contessa until I Googled Contessa this evening, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I don't even own a TV. lol And I'm not expecting, but I do often help friends find names for their babies. I wouldn't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction.
    ~Cathryn Elizabeth~

Favorite Boys: Charleston Hawk, Gryphon Cane, Hadrien Bram, and Macsen Faucher (pr. foe-SHAY)
    Favorite Girls: Imogen Temperance, Livian Calanthe, Fern Elora, and Rosalyn Hazel

No one else is going to chime in here? I was really hoping for more than two opinions. Thanks to the ladies that did comment!
    ~Cathryn Elizabeth~