Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: is Viola vile?

is Viola vile?

First thoughts & opinions?

I think Viola is lovely if the O is emphasized, and I love the thought of violet flowers and Shakespeare's use of it, but at the same time, same problem with violet really, it does get pronounced Vile sort of. But the syllable split is a little different, like Vyla really to rhyme with Myla, not Vile-a. And of course it has a negative meaning in Spanish (BUT I'll point out in Spanish just like in English it evokes violets and the musical instrument viola has the same name in Spanish as the negative Spanish meaning, so I *don't* think it's the same as the English word violate/rape!).

It's complicated I suppose but I don't think anything about it when meeting one! Really when I hear it I mainly think of Shakespeare and of the actress Viola Davis. I do think it's pretty.

PS O not emphasized like vye OH la or something, but just said like vye-a-la.

I prefer Violet myself...Viola sounds kinds of silly and reminds me of the instrument.
    NYC Addict to Girls' Names. Future novelist and screenwriter.

Favorite Girls:
    Annabel/Annabella, Alice, Arabella, Bryony, Calla, Clara, Clementine, Cora, Delphine, Eleanora, Emmeline, Estella, Hazel, Isadora, Ivy, Jane, Josephine, Lily, Sapphira, Violetta

Favorite Boys:
    Bryce, Calvin, Charles/Charlie, Christopher, Dylan, Wesley, Wyatt

I love Viola. It's one of my favorites!
    G: Sawyer, Clementine, Evangeline, Natalie, Hazel, Saiorse, Stella, Wren (Birdie), Bianca, Melody, Roux, Olive, India Scout, Minerva, Delilah, Daisy, Darcy, Clio, Junia, Pfeifer, Kate, Mary Claire, Violet, Fiona, Ella, Poppy
    B: Balthasar, Basil, Ezekiel, Reuben, Sebastian, Finnian, Eric, Dean, Wallace (Wally), Zephyr, Cecil, Lysander, Schuyler, Nico
    Girl Groups: Clementine, Mary Claire, Stella
    Boy Bands: Balthasar Alexander, Cecil, Basil
    Twin Teams: Luna and Linus