Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lilith

Lilith

Opinions on the usability of Lilith. Oh and I love it and although we like Lily as a nickname we think it's too short by itself. I'm not keen on Lilian and OH detests Elizabeth and Elspeth but Lilith seems to hit the right spot. However, there are mythological connotations associated with Lilith. Would this make it unusable or is it obscure enough that most people wouldn't know?
    Name lover & Engaged to a wonderful man

Lilith - Vesper - Francesca - Tiffany - Lark - Viola - Naomi - Eloise - Layla - Amy - Phoebe - Freya
    Zachary - Alexander - Tristan - George - Axel - Dominic - Loki - Malachi- Rowan - Harvey - Griffin - Briar

Bunny names:
    M: Banjo, Chewbacca
    F: Kairi, Pika
    Uni: Bantha, Domino, Tadpole

My blog: http://thereviewinators.wordpress.com/

It is a dealbreaker for me. I remember reading the story of Ruth and Boaz (not the original, from the Bible, but a novel that elaborated on the Biblical narrative), and it explained Lilith. It totally creeped me out. Besides, even if I don't believe it's real (I do believe the Bible; everything I've heard about Lilith points to the fact that it's a mythical creature), it still has very strongly negative connotations, and I wouldn't want that associated to my daughter. There's other unusual ways to get to Lily, if that's what you're after--Liliosa, Lilias, Lilia, Lilevi, Lilikoi, etc.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Grace + Eleni
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Caspar + Grant + Rory

It's more the sound of Lilith we like. Lily isn't our objective really, just a nickname that could be used for Lilith.
    Name lover & Engaged to a wonderful man

Lilith - Vesper - Francesca - Tiffany - Lark - Viola - Naomi - Eloise - Layla - Amy - Phoebe - Freya
    Zachary - Alexander - Tristan - George - Axel - Dominic - Loki - Malachi- Rowan - Harvey - Griffin - Briar

Bunny names:
    M: Banjo, Chewbacca
    F: Kairi, Pika
    Uni: Bantha, Domino, Tadpole

My blog: http://thereviewinators.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sweekune View Post
    It's more the sound of Lilith we like. Lily isn't our objective really, just a nickname that could be used for Lilith.
    I admit, the sound of Lilith is nice. Very unusual, but still the soft Lili sound at the beginning. I'm not sure other -ith names are what you're going for, but I have a huge thing for Edith--I find that it has that same sweetness up front (Edie!) with the unexpected -ith ending.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Grace + Eleni
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Caspar + Grant + Rory

I like Lilith. The name is gorgeous, and the mythology... is a bit weird, but quite cool. From what I understand Lilith (lilitu) was ethereal beings or demons (something involving stealing children I believe? I always wondered if they were based on Lamia from Greek mythology). The other Lilith was some kind of off-Biblical tale about Adam's first wife who was created by herself, not from Adam's body and didn't obey him. Which obviously makes her amazing and a great role model. I think Lilith's a wonderful name, and you're in the U.K., no one's going to care about the Bible connection.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]