Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cohesion

Cohesion

I've recently finished the edits on the my novel and while I wait for my editor to get back to me, I thought I'd go ahead and start my new writing project. I just would like some opinions on my combos and whether the names are all cohesive together. I'll list them first as individual names then as family groups (parents and children).

Genre -- Fantasy.
    Names -- Non-stereotypical. I'm going for regular names that work together that aren't just your typical fantasy names

Erin Storm Thranger (b) -- I know this is the 'girls' spelling but I love it and think it's fine for a boy
    Silver Patience Thranger (b) -- These 2 are brother and I already know their names aren't cohesive in a sibset, but they aren't meant to be
    Alexander Morgan Maeham
    Adrian Kendric Thranger
    David Lucas Garner
    Kolton Rain Garner
    Demitri Gerard Thranger
    Damian Logan Thranger
    Dorian Harper Thranger -- it doesn't bother me that they both end in -er
    Gareth Damon Thranger -- I know there are a lot of people in the Thranger family
    Lettlyn Roan Piper (b)
    Elijah Alexander Maeham
    Valkin Salem Sorg
    Sindalain Raven Piper (b)
    Faeren Delatrose (b)
    Elijah Daniel Rhoder -- he goes by Rhoder so there's no confusion with the other Elijah. Rhoder = roh-der
    Geoffrey Logan Luther
    Shadoe Robin Blackwood -- I know the first and last are a little cheesy together and it's meant that way
    Raphael Dante Konda

Helena Dawn Luther
    Glory Kiona Ryder
    Alexah Leanne Maeham
    Amelia Elisa (need last name)-- I want Elisa to sound like eh-lees-ah but I'm not sure how to spell it
    Melody Pellonia Ryder -- I know the name is Melody Ryder but it's fine
    Morrigan Ryder
    Ekata Mae Garner "Katie Mae"
    Adria Mercy Thranger

Families: (parents -- children)

Erin Storm & Glory Kiona -- Adrian Kendric, Melody Pellonia, Morrigan (need a middle here), Demitri Gerard, Dorian Harper, Damian Logan, Lettlyn Roan Piper (Different mother, uses her last name)
    Silver Patience -- Sindalain Raven Piper (same mother as Lett, I know, messed up families)
    Alexander Morgan & Helena Dawn -- Alexah Leanne, Elijah Alexander
    David Lucas & Helena Dawn -- Kolton Rain
    Alexah Leanne & Adrian Kendric -- Gareth Damon & Adria Mercy (twins)
    Alexah Leanne & Salem (not present in story) -- Valkin Salem Sorg
    Kolton Rain & Amelia Elisa -- Ekata Mae
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Hi Dantea, how exciting! I wish you great success in your writing! Your editor has high praise for your writing! Here are my impressions on your names.

Erin Storm Thranger (b) -- It sounds like "Air and Storm". On purpose? Is Thranger pronounced like Granger? There's also Aeron or the Scottish place name Arran or the Irish island of Aran.
    Silver Patience Thranger (b) -- unless you pointed it out, I would say this was a girl. A little too descriptive.
    Alexander Morgan Maeham - handsome and distinguished. Maeham is very similar to the word "mayhem".
    Adrian Kendric Thranger - a lot of r's in this combo. Erin and Adrian end in n's. I think Kendrick looks better with a "k" at the end.
    David Lucas Garner - A normal name compared to his sibling below.
    Kolton Rain Garner - Reminds me of a small horse bolting in the rain. Any reason for the "K" spelling?
    Demitri Gerard Thranger - I'm more used to the Dimitri/Dmitri spelling
    Damian Logan Thranger - An abundance of "an" in all three names
    Dorian Harper Thranger -- Dorian Harper is unisex so the gender is ambiguous
    Gareth Damon Thranger -- Damian as a first name and now Damon as a mn. Does the name hold some significance in the Thranger family?
    Lettlyn Roan Piper (b) - This combo is confusing. Two names are more girly (Lettlyn and Piper) and the other is male (Roan). Is Lettlyn made up?
    Elijah Alexander Maeham - I prefer Eli but this combo is ok.
    Valkin Salem Sorg - This sounds like a real baddie. A name Tolkien would love for meanie. Valkin reminds me of Vulcan.
    Sindalain Raven Piper (b) - Sounds more feminine than masculine. Maybe because Sindalain sounds soft.
    Faeren Delatrose (b) - again, I can see this on a female than a male.
    Elijah Daniel Rhoder -- Two fine Biblical names.
    Geoffrey Logan Luther - I like Geoffrey Logan. It's an unusual pairing.
    Shadoe Robin Blackwood -- It sounds like a police surveillance on a guy named Robin Blackwood!
    Raphael Dante Konda - I love Raphael and Dante but Dante Konda sounds like anaconda. Is this guy snake-like?

Helena Dawn Luther - Helena is pretty
    Glory Kiona Ryder - Glory Ryder sounds overly sensual.
    Alexah Leanne Maeham - Alexah is even worse than Alexa.
    Amelia Elisa (need last name)-- Maybe Elleesa if you want something made up.
    Melody Pellonia Ryder -- This name reminds me of the Bond girl character called Honey Rider. Pellonia is strange and I'm not crazy about the Mel-Pell sound.
    Morrigan Ryder - I was going to suggest Sky as a mn but I guess it would sound really cheesy with Ryder.
    Ekata Mae Garner "Katie Mae" - Ekata Mae crackles with energy!
    Adria Mercy Thranger - My tongue trips up on the r's of Adria Thranger

Families: (parents -- children)

Erin Storm & Glory Kiona -- Adrian Kendric, Melody Pellonia, Morrigan (need a middle here), Demitri Gerard, Dorian Harper, Damian Logan, Lettlyn Roan Piper (Different mother, uses her last name) - 2 m's, 3 d's, 1 a and 1 l. Erin, Adrian, Dorian, Damian and Lettlyn are very matchy for one family but maybe that's the way you want it. Erin seems kind of weak next to Glory and Lettlyn - well- don't get me started. You know how the Berries freak out with kre8tif spellings.

Silver Patience -- Sindalain Raven Piper (same mother as Lett, I know, messed up families) - I would say these were girls.

Alexander Morgan & Helena Dawn -- Alexah Leanne, Elijah Alexander - Alexander and Helena are a gorgeous pair! I don't like the spelling of Alexah. I think Alix Liana would be better. Even Alyx if you want a more modern, edgier spelling.

David Lucas & Helena Dawn -- Kolton Rain - I like the parents names. Kolton Rain isn't a fave.

Alexah Leanne & Adrian Kendric -- Gareth Damon & Adria Mercy (twins) - 3 a's leaves Gareth in the cold!

Alexah Leanne & Salem (not present in story) -- Valkin Salem Sorg - That Alexah certainly gets around, doesn't she?

Kolton Rain & Amelia Elisa -- Ekata Mae - I like Amelia and Ekata.
    Last edited by mischa; September 8th, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Lots of names here so I'll flag up something that stood out to me.

Erin. It's a girl's name and isn't interchangeable with Aaron. They're different names with different pronunciations, not just different spellings of the same.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Thanks for the comments. Yes, Alexah does get around. I hate the name Alexah so it's fitting it's on a character I sort of hate :P

To answer questions:

Erin Storm Thranger (b) -- Nope I never even noticed Air and Storm. Thranger is like Granger
    Silver Patience Thranger (b) -- I know it's descriptive, but you'll never hear his middle in story. It's mostly for me to chuckle at since it's ironic that he has no Patience.
    Alexander Morgan Maeham - It's supposed to be said like Mayhem :P
    Adrian Kendric Thranger - The R's don't really bother me. I agree, it does look better with the K
    David Lucas Garner - Son :P
    Kolton Rain Garner - I spelled it with the K back when I originally wrote the short story and am finding it hard to part with it
    Gareth Damon Thranger -- It doesn't, I just like it :P I'm not adverse to finding a new middle for him
    Lettlyn Roan Piper (b) - Piper is the last name. I know Lett and his brothers names are girly (Sindalain) but they only use their full names sometimes. They go by Lett and Sin most other times. Does that help? I think I made up Lettlyn. I've never heard it before.
    Raphael Dante Konda - Konda is pronounced like kone-da -- maybe I should respell it Kohnda (this looks like John though) or Khonda like the word Rhodes?

Glory Kiona Ryder - I've never noticed that before! She goes by Wolf a lot of the time she I've never thought of it >.<
    Melody Pellonia Ryder -- I'm not crazy about Pellonia either. I wanted something that meant protector/defender/fighter but not an Alex name
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

Proud Mama to:
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Renrose -- How is it pronounced different? I'm honestly curious as I've known girls and a man named Erin but they just pronounce it like Aaron and I've never heard otherwise. Also, I know Erin is a girls name but if it's 'fine' to use boys names on girls, there's no real reason I can't use girl names on boys.

Proud Mama to:
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014