Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

JJ as a nickname?

** I don't want to offend anyone or start anything. I'm just looking for clarity.

My husband wants To use 2 J names (1st & middle) and use JJ as a nickname. What do you think of it??? My mother in law (who lives with us ) keeps saying its to ethnic or african american. We live in white suburbia. What do you all think about JJ? Now she's got me second guessing our choice.

I like JJ! It's spunky, easy to say, and catchy. I think of Jelena Jankovic, the Serbian tennis player who the press affectionately calls JJ after her initials (though I don't think she calls herself that). So no, I don't find it ethnic or African-American.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

I don't find AJ/JJ/JT/AW/JR etc. particularly ethnic, but I've been told it's rather "American." (I'm a Yank who emigrated to Australia). I've heard it on plenty of white suburban guys as well as hardcore rednecks from the backwoods, inner-city Jewish guys, and black guys, so I don't think of it as a particular niche thing. Though what names are being abbreviated does vary with subculture.

I like JJ fine. But I'm biased, I have AJ on my own list.

Thanks for the replies! I like it.. I just wish I could get her out of my ear & house!

I don't care for it that much as a nickname (no offense, just my taste), but I certainly don't find it stereotypically ethnic. I have a friend who was adopted from Poland, and she and her (white) American husband named their first boy Jeremiah James and call him JJ.
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet