Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trouble with Mae

We are currently not expecting, but trying for baby #2! We have a 1 year old daughter named Adeline. I have loved this name since I was in the 7th grade, we contemplated the names Mae and Bristol (family name). My best friend just had a daughter a few months ago and named her Bristol Mae. And they call her Bristol sometimes and they call her Mae too. Their 3 year old cant say Bristol so calls her Mae, and so sometimes thats what other people call her. The only name my husband and I agree on is Mae, and it is my #1 choice. Do you think it would be ok to name her Mae, even though my friend has a daughter they call Mae? I dont feel right using Bristol since it is the first name of her child. Any suggestions for names like Mae?

Other names I like are :

Vivienne
    Constance ( but hate Connie)
    Harper ( becoming to popular)
    Layla ( to popular)
    Lux

Names my husband loves are:

Holly
    Molly
    Elise

I just had this same problem with a friend. I talked to her and she said it wasn't an issue- use whatever name we wanted. I picked my second fav choice as it was further from her daughters name.

Like Mae:
    Could be nn Mae
    Mavis
    Maven
    Maeve
    Mabel
    Maple
    June

Maeve and Adeline are a sweet pairing.

Names you might like:
    Emmeline ( same ending as Adeline)
    Hadley
    Corinna
    Lilia
    *Magnolia Alice/ Evangeline Clover/ Adelaide Clover/ Athena Violet/
    Liliana Wren/ Georgiana Snow/ Eugenie Marigold*

*Osias Grey/August Grey/Thatcher Fox/ Ignatius Grey/Hawthorne Flynn/
    Jasper August/ *

I think that Maeve and or Mavis would be a good substitution if you are worried about naming your child Mae.

Here are some others you may like that would go good with Adeline:

Louise
    Cecily
    Roxanna
    Susanna
    Jane

Hope this helps you out!

I've had the same problem with Zelda...only the person who used the name is not a friend, an annoying relative.

Maybe, causally ask the friend what she thinks?

Personally, since your friend and her family are using both names, interchangeably, I would use Mae as a middle name and find another first name that you and your husband like.

I think Molly or Vivienne goes best with Adeline if you think you can't use Mae (which I prefer to both of those). Maybe the May spelling would differentiate it enough. Or Mae/May as a nn for another name: Mavis, Mabel, Mary, Esme.
    Maura
    mama to
    Flannery Katherine