Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Absolutely works

Jane sounds more like James than John anyways

I think Jane works well to honor a James. Besides, I think the main thing with names given to honor someone is the intent.
    * A Nameberry Nightmare*

Mr. Fry: So, what should we name him?
    Mrs. Fry: Uh, you pick. I picked dinner last night.
    Mr. Fry: Well, I was thinking of Philip. After those screwdrivers?
    Mrs. Fry: That's a great idea! More morphine, please.

I think Jane could definitely honor a James. They both sound and look very similar, and plus, Janie sounds a lot like Jamie. I have Grayson on my list to honor my grandma (whose middle is Grace)--I think Grayson for a Grace works about as well as Jane for a James.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

When it comes to these kinds of honor names I think it works if what you're after is a subtle connection that you & he (if he's with us) know about. And of course if he is no longer with us you could share with whoever would find it especially meaningful that you named your daughter for him.

If you're hoping that people will make the connection without you informing them that Jane honors James, you probably aren't going literal enough.

I often see posts here about how people use name meaning connections to find honor names, and it's nice if it's just a personal thing, but the average person wouldn't hear the name Honor and catch the connection to Melissa which means Honey which shares the first 3 letters of Honor or some such thing. I think if someone uses a less literal honor name it's nice enough as long as they understand that not everyone will make the connection.