Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

little kid is swearing!!

I have just had my third baby and I have been really tired lately and I have a new thing on my mind. My three year old Avery has been saying "shit" lately. I don`t know where he picked it up, or how he knows it, but that`s like his favorite word lately.
    I try to ignore him and tell him that it`s not a nice word , but he doesn`t understand.
    It also doesn`t help when my husband laughs every time he says it. Like the other day, we were eating are dinner and he said that word. My husband just started hysterically laughing. I had to kick him in the shins to get him to shut up. errrrr.Honestly, my husband is very immature.
    I am just afraid he s going to slip at a store, or when grandma and grandpa visits. That would be really embarrassing.
    Has anybody gone threw anything like this?? Do you know any solutions??
    Thankyou!!!
    married to my wonderful husband--P.J.
    mommy to--- Bridger Alexander(7) , Avery Matthew(3) and Owen Samuel arrived on September 5th!!!

current favorites---
    boys--Bridger,Avery, Owen, Tristan, Cory,Brody, Justin, Porter, Morrison, Axel, Finn and Ira

girls---Natalie, Brooklyn, Penelope, Paige, Heather, Emerson, Eleanor, Beth, Jenna and Meredith

I also have a three year old who picked up on some not so nice words from her daddy (ok and maybe some oopsies from mommy too). When she was a little younger I would catch it and try to correct it by feeding her a different word that sounds similar. For example my husband said "what the f@&$!" and she repeated it and I told her " no baby, dad said Donald Duck" she bought it and then started rambling on about MMCH. I let an "oh shit" slip out in front of her on accident and she repeated it also and I told her I said "pirate ship!" instead and she went with that word too. But when she got older and I started hearing clearer versions of her father's words come out of her precious little mouth I had to be straight with her and I told her those were bad words and princesses don't use those kinds of words or they can't be princesses anymore and play with any of the princess toys like dolls or jewelry. Also, I warned her I was close friends with Santa and if I needed to I had his number and I could call him and tell him she was saying bad words. I pretending to call and she spit out an apology right away. Now, I catch her correcting her father telling him not to say bad words or Mommy will call Santa. Don't know if this helps for you but it worked in our home. When all else fails a little blackmail and the threat of losing toys can go a long way.

My daughter dropped the f-bomb in front of a family friend a couple of months ago and I almost died of embarrassment! I think its an age thing, because we don't swear around her or encourage the use of bad language. I'm not even sure where she heard it because DH and I try really hard to shield her from that type of language.

I do think kids should have a word they can use in frustration - My sister has banned ALL forms of this and her kids end up using really bad language all the time. For example, I won't let my girl say damn, crap, or any of the other more serious curse words, but I do let her say flip and fudge. Like this morning, the strap on her schoolbag broke on the way to school and she said "oh fudge!", and I was okay with that as its inoffensive and age appropriate.

I think its a pushing boundaries thing, when they are at an age when they are finding it hard to express themselves. I tell my daughter that cursing is impolite and rude, and that people will think poorly of her if she does it. She does need vocabulary to outline her frustration, which is why saying flip, fudge and shoot is okay.

If this persists, taking away her favourite toy or a time-out may get the message across better.

I know all kids are liable to slip up occasionally and let out a swear word but its not an acceptable thing for children to do on a regular basis.

Next time I catch my daughter cursing there will be strong consequences, maybe a grounding or her favourite toy taken away for a week. Its important for them to understand its totally unacceptable.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

I don't have any children myself, but I've been a teacher and a nanny and I do have experience having to correct children swearing. The best strategy is to address it as you would any other misbehavior. I would say, "That's not a nice word, please don't say it again." If he continued to say it, I would put him in a time out or whatever form of discipline you regularly use.

I think in this instance, the big thing to remember is to not show any sort of strong reaction to it (which it sounds like you're doing well). If he swore and you gasped loudly and yelled and otherwise made a big deal out of it, he would probably be more likely to continue using it instead of less, because he realized it's something he can get a good reaction out of. In terms of your husband's reaction, I'm not really sure what you can do about that haha. It's definitely not the best thing to do, because your son might decide he's going to swear more because it's funny, and kids love getting other people to laugh. Maybe you could just try explaining that to your husband? I'd bet (not that I hope this happens!) that the first time your son swears in public when your husband is with him, he'll be embarrassed and be less likely to laugh at it in the future.

The last thing I'd suggest is that if your parents are visiting any time soon, pull them aside when they get there and explain that you're not sure where he picked it up but your son has been using a bad word recently, and you'd appreciate it that if he uses it while they're there, they don't react and leave the discipline to you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by leahmarie512; September 9th, 2013 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leahmarie512 View Post
    I think in this instance, the big thing to remember is to not show any sort of strong reaction to it (which it sounds like you're doing well). If he swore and you gasped loudly and yelled and otherwise made a big deal out of it, he would probably be more likely to continue using it instead of less, because he realized it's something he can get a good reaction out of.
    Having worked for the last three months with this age group, this is a terrible idea! No reaction works with words like 'darn' or 'dumb' or 'stupid,' which aren't really as big of a deal, and are certainly better alternatives, but for things like $h!t and it's counterparts, you really should crack down. Give him one warning, if that, and after that time out, send him to his room, whatever punishments you guys typically use.

Don't let your husband laugh, talk to him about that, whatever -- yeah, it's hilarious, I know, we all know, but if you want him to stop, then so do the POSITIVE reactions. He's not trying to get any reaction, just a good one. If you turn that laughter into some serious time out time, he's WAY more likely to stop than if you're passive about it. Be an active parent, not a passive one.

When I was 8 I said a$$, and my dad was in the room. He sent me to my room, no excuses, no chances, no nothing -- I was generally a good kid, so getting punished at all was a big deal for me, and believe me, I didn't swear for at least another five years after that, because it just wasn't worth it.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.