Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Names of Etruscan Origin

I have always found the Etruscan civilisation (and especially the language) absolutely fascinating - we owe the existence of the Latin alphabet to this race, of whom most people (myself included) know hardly anything! So, just for fun, I have composed a list of Etruscan girls' names. What do you think?

Alichsantre, Alechsantre, Alcsentre, Elchsntre, Elachśantre, Elachśntre, Elcste
    Aita, Eita
    Althaia
    Areatha
    Aulunthe
    Calaina
    Calanice
    Crisitha
    Elinei, Elinai, Elina
    Ilithiia
    Palmithe, Talmithe
    Sime
    Eileithyia

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel---------------------------------------------Recent Fancies: Hamish Idris February & Vivian Tamsin Blythe

The history behind them would definitely make those names meaningful, but I would be a bit worried that they would be hard for a modern day baby to wear - they just seem like so much name. Still, very pretty names. If you are looking for more names of the same origin, the following link might be a good resource (not a history buff, so can't vouch for its accuracy but seems like it would be a reliable source): http://www.peiraeuspubliclibrary.com.../etruscan.html

Hope this helps, and that my doubts don't put you off of a name you love. I didn't mean to be harsh or rude at all, I just have a very traditional style - aka probably boring by berry standards

I think the names below would be usable. I'm not too sure about the remaining names. Would anyone be able to pronounce most of them? Elina is a popular name in Scandinavia. My favourite is Althaia. Thanks for sharing!

Althaia
    Calaina
    Calanice
    Crisitha
    Elina
    Talmithe
    All the best,
    Mischa.

@slytherdor15 - Thank you very much - I'm not actually looking for names for a child, and would never name my child any of these names (as a first name, at least), but I just find them fascinating to look at (and fun to say, if I can even try - some of the names are a little confusing to say the least...) and so composed a list for others to enjoy too; however, thank you for your feedback were I ever to consider any of them - it's always helpful and interesting to hear what others say.

@mischa - Thank you for your comment; having loved your threads on saints' names, I decided to create my own (rather less lengthy, unfortunately!) list of names I though others might like to look at. I'm actually thinking of doing one per week, just because I enjoy doing it so much!

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel---------------------------------------------Recent Fancies: Hamish Idris February & Vivian Tamsin Blythe

Quote Originally Posted by ciottolo View Post
    @slytherdor15 - Thank you very much - I'm not actually looking for names for a child, and would never name my child any of these names (as a first name, at least), but I just find them fascinating to look at (and fun to say, if I can even try - some of the names are a little confusing to say the least...) and so composed a list for others to enjoy too; however, thank you for your feedback were I ever to consider any of them - it's always helpful and interesting to hear what others say.

@mischa - Thank you for your comment; having loved your threads on saints' names, I decided to create my own (rather less lengthy, unfortunately!) list of names I though others might like to look at. I'm actually thinking of doing one per week, just because I enjoy doing it so much!
    I hope you decide to make an interesting list every a week! I always love to read about the unusual names people have heard or seen on their travels.
    All the best,
    Mischa.