Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maepae View Post
    Well no one has to respect it. I just overall think it's not as big of a deal as people like the OP make it out to be, and that coming down on something so minor with an iron fist gives that very thing itself more power. I think calling it out when one sees it is a perfectly logical and reasonable thing to do, but getting super riled up about it just doesn't seem proportional. The punishment has to fit the crime, you know? I'm not saying "oh just ignore it if you see it," I'm more trying to say "don't worry about it so much, it isn't that big of a deal."

For the record I'm a pretty stubborn person myself and can be straightforward to the point of brash, but I have learned to pick my battles. There are so many other things to be pissed off about, and I come to Nameberry for a break from the day, and taking it so seriously doesn't do anything but make it a less pleasant experience for oneself.
    haha I don't get out enough to have other things to get pissed off about, really -- I'm thinking that this is more where we differ than anything else. I like Nameberry for the break, but also for the intellectual stimulation it occasionally gives me; be it a discussion such as this or checking out someone's suspicious story, I take all aspects of these forums and enjoy them.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

Quote Originally Posted by celianne View Post
    haha I don't get out enough to have other things to get pissed off about, really -- I'm thinking that this is more where we differ than anything else. I like Nameberry for the break, but also for the intellectual stimulation it occasionally gives me; be it a discussion such as this or checking out someone's suspicious story, I take all aspects of these forums and enjoy them.
    I consider intellectual stimulation a part of my 'break' and I find linguistics, particularly something as simple as name linguistics to be utterly fascinating. I'm more interested in the content people post than the people posting them, callous though it may sound. As long as what I'm reading and commenting on is relevant to my interests on this site, I'm good. For example, you could be a fake profile (not saying you are, obviously, just metaphorically) and it really doesn't make a difference to me. The conversation we are having is still stimulating, it's interesting, and brings up a lot of points on either side to ruminate over. I'm way more okay with talking to a fake profile about something interesting than talking to a real profile about something boring.

I never said I get out :P But there are still lots of other things to be angry about in all sorts of different area that I don't have the energy to get upset about fake profiles. As far as the world of the internet goes, I'm more upset about websites selling my information or government information tapping, I just don't have the emotional fortitude to even care about whether or not the profile on the other end is real or not, because it effects me far less. As long as I'm getting my use from the site, I'm still good.

Of course if sniffing out fake profiles is your thing, that's okay too. Just like some people like to make fake profiles for their own reasons, I'm sure people like sniffing them out for some reason. It seems like wasted energy to me on both ends, but hey, whatever makes people happy, so long as no one gets truly hurt.

Haha sounds good, thanks for a good discussion.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

I just want to add that I don't think liking unusual names means you're a fake. Not at all. Trolls sometimes like unusual names and sometimes like more normal names. I think people respond more to unusual names because it's interesting - I'm not going to name my child Faerydae, but it's cool to live vicariously for a moment through someone who might!
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Quote Originally Posted by celianne View Post
    Haha sounds good, thanks for a good discussion.
    And same to you!