Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Am I the only one...

Am I the only one who feels that nameberry is just overrun with fakers? I see quite a few very popular members who I strongly suspect (and not without evidence) are fake, but it seems like they get the most posts and adoration. I don't get it. I thought this forum was welcomed to all those who want to discuss names, but it seems like in order to get a decent amount of posts, you have to fake a pregnancy (usually twins or triplets) and you have to come up with ridiculous "names" just to get any attention,and it is really turning me off this site. Whatever happened to just being honest about oneself? I'm upfront: I'm not pregnant and I don't have kids, but I want to talk about baby names. But it seems as though I'd have to fake a pregnancy and come up with these over the top names (and it is usually the SAME ones that come up OVER and OVER again) in order to get any responses.

I can't be the only one who feels this way!

Well, you are unique... I mean...

Badly timed puns aside, do you have any evidence for these 'very popular fakers?'

I don't know what you generally ask about, names or the like, but as far as getting responses go, maybe you just aren't asking interesting questions. I click on posts that look interesting, and I respond to them if I feel that my input will contribute in some way -- often I don't respond to a post if my input is exactly the same as everyone else's. I'm not going to throw out another 'Yeah, it's a pretty good name' if there's already five. Or if I think a person can figure out the answer on their own -- names that mean blank, for instance. You can do that yourself, I don't need to search the internet for you. The actual popularity of blank is another one. If you're asking normal questions about normal names, you aren't going to get very many responses because your questions have been asked and the name is a safe choice and someone might have some random thing against it but overall it's very nice lalalalalala.

I've asked some things on here that I thought were perfectly good, interesting questions -- and gotten nothing in response. It might be timing. If you live on the East coast of America and you ask a question at four AM, no one is going to be online to answer it. That's midnight for me, and 9 AM for England. Basically, no one's lurking to answer your questions.

There are a plethora of reasons for people not getting back to you, but saying that 'very popular members' are faking and taking the attention away from your perfectly legitimate questions is a bit of a stretch.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

There are times when the things people say or the timing of certain events triggers my "yeah, right" reflex, but ultimately it's not up to me to point out fakers unless irrefutable proof of their fakery lands in my lap. I'm not one to seek out drama, and we don't all have the Blade-ar for detecting trolls I'm not pregnant either, which I think most of the people who respond regularly on my posts are aware of...but I always feel bad when someone new pops in to say "congratulations on your baby!" because that makes me feel like I wasn't clear enough that I'm not pregnant, and I hate for someone to feel like they wasted their time helping me since I'm not naming an actual child yet. I love collecting names for my list and coming up with the perfect (albeit still theoretical at this point) combos...I don't know what I'm going to do when I have a solid top five for each gender....make a top ten?? Come up with a totally new way to interact with NB?

But I digress. Do I think NB is overrun with fakers? Not really. The ones that I suspect are fakers are usually come and go. They come, they post a ridiculous story, they never reply to the suggestions OR they haunt their thread and reply to every single one as soon as it's posted, overreacting to people who question their authenticity, then they disappear after a few days.

Do I think fakers detract from the NB experience? I mean, yeah, if you've put a lot of time and thought into finding suggestions for someone only to find out they were faking, it does suck. I'm just as happy to help people that aren't TTC, so I feel like why lie? The ones that really piss me off are the ones who invent horrible circumstances like rape, disease, or miscarriage due to complications. I feel like that trivializes the experiences of people who legitimately went through those circumstances, which is extremely disrespectful.

Do I feel like you have to lie/make up a pregnancy/pretend you're having multiples to get responses on your threads? Absolutely not! I've received so many lovely replies to my threads and I've never claimed to be pregnant or even TTC yet. Nameberry is the only forum I've ever actively participated in, and trolls or no trolls, I find this a safe environment to express my opinions, explore my style, interact with awesome like-minded people, discover new and interesting names for my collections, and help others choose the perfect names for their characters or expected babies or future little ones. You can't be too suspicious of people because that will ruin the experience for you, and there's so much fun to be had in this community

If it helps, I promise that henceforth I will be more active on your threads when I see them, just so you feel encouraged to keep being yourself and continuing your name journey without creating a fake persona to get more attention
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

There are a few people on here that I'm suspicious of. I just don't comment on their threads. If you have evidence of a faker, I'd just email Pam or Linda and let them take care of it. They seem to be pretty good at locking/deleting fake threads or banning fakers once it's brought to their attention. Like sessha, I generally don't give a hoot until they start making up tragedies, in which case they deserve to get reamed by the berries. Most seem to come in with far-out stories and fade away within a couple weeks though. I know a couple long time berries have been caught or confessed, but I think most of the regulars are on the up and up. All? Probably not, but as long as they haven't had 3 years of miscarriages and rapes and such, I don't care.

If you feel your posts are getting knocked down too quickly for people to notice them, one little 'bump' wouldn't hurt anything. If people still don't respond, ah well, nobody found it that interesting. I've had a couple that got little to no comments. It happens. No worries, onward to the next subject/name!
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Undomiel Snow ● Isabeau Sophronia Blanche ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Ilythia Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

Quote Originally Posted by uniquenamelover View Post
    Am I the only one who feels that nameberry is just overrun with fakers? I see quite a few very popular members who I strongly suspect (and not without evidence) are fake, but it seems like they get the most posts and adoration. I don't get it. I thought this forum was welcomed to all those who want to discuss names, but it seems like in order to get a decent amount of posts, you have to fake a pregnancy (usually twins or triplets) and you have to come up with ridiculous "names" just to get any attention,and it is really turning me off this site. Whatever happened to just being honest about oneself? I'm upfront: I'm not pregnant and I don't have kids, but I want to talk about baby names. But it seems as though I'd have to fake a pregnancy and come up with these over the top names (and it is usually the SAME ones that come up OVER and OVER again) in order to get any responses.

I can't be the only one who feels this way!
    I agree, especially about the super unusual names. It seems like threads with more normal names don't get replied to much anymore and everyone has to "one up" each other on finding an obscure name to post about, just so they'll get replies. Personally, I try to make sure that I reply to threads with only a few posts because I know how it feels to not have anyone reply to your threads. It'll be so much easier for me to reply to threads now that the "new posts" button is working again.

Also, I suspect there are a few regulars who are fake but I have no definitive proof so I won't say anything. :shrug: Then, there are others who I (and others) *know* are faking but they just won't admit it.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey