Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uniquenamelover View Post
    Why is it that when someone talks about unique names, it is in the context of outrageous names? A name does not not have to be John or Jane in order for it to be different, but as someone else has mentioned....Faerydae....seriously? And yes, that "name" has been mentioned, along with others such as Firefly, Rapunzel, Happy and other over the top ridiculous names. You can be "unique" without going over the deep end, and one should be given more than a couple responses without having to be pregnant or have a wild taste in names.
    Responses aren't handed out like cookies by some great post-god in the sky. If your question isn't interesting to a lot of people not a lot of people will respond to it.
    I’m just trying to behave as I think a friend should behave. Granted, I haven’t had much practice.

~Elphaba Thropp, Wicked, by Gregory Maguire

Quote Originally Posted by celianne View Post
    Responses aren't handed out like cookies by some great post-god in the sky. If your question isn't interesting to a lot of people not a lot of people will respond to it.
    Ha! This is true. I respond to questions I find interesting and I'm actually more likely to respond to someone who has similar taste to me because I think I can contribute more to answering their question. I'm pretty terrible at those fanciful names anyway.

As Ren mentioned, let either of us know if you suspect anyone of trolling. There are a couple of regulars on our radar at the moment, but without proof it's hard to say anything. Sometimes trolls post elaborate stories, but a lot of the time their posts are innocent enough, although there's something about them that just seems off. It's hard to put your finger on.
    Alice - Beatrix - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah

Albert - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Well, I have rather unusual taste in names and my last thread got 10 pages(mostly because I answer back all the time). Does it make me suspect? If so, please do tell me. Maybe some of you didn't understand something but of course, I am not the one to create drama stories and steal pics from other sites.
    @Charlieandperry1: I agree,there are quite a lot copycats but is it really that bad? Better somebody uses Ophelia by berry advice(or, ok, copies somebody) than just go with Olivia because it's everywhere. People need inspiration and they get it - some from arts, some from other's ideas.
    And, to summarize, the most awful trolls with huge dramas, dead family members and stuff usually aren't very creative and prefer crazy spellings and trendy names. I think it's quite silly to suspect everybody who loves highly unusual names just because of the fact but, yeah, some here are faking, with regular names or not.
    Victoria

Each magician has his own power sign...
    * Hector & Leontine
    ♈ ♉ ♊ ♋ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓ are under transformation into heroes and queens!

And a bit more I want to add after reading all the responses: yes, people prefer to talk about not everyday names because they hardly leave your lukewarm: you either love it or dislike so it's easy to express your opinion. When it comes to Jane(and I love this name, what is wrong with her?) and Michael, most of us are so used to them that it's hard to say something new, fresh and interesting; but if there pops a person who says Jane is awful, outdated and so on, a lot of people are gushing to say it's not try.
    When I was actually pregnant, my threads didn't get a lot of responses because I considered simpler names, now when I talk about Hector and Leontine theoretically, I get 90 replies. I think @redwoodfey said and explained it pretty prefect.
    Victoria

Each magician has his own power sign...
    * Hector & Leontine
    ♈ ♉ ♊ ♋ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓ are under transformation into heroes and queens!

My position is who cares? If someone wants to spend their time making up a fake family, let them. Perhaps its a way of escaping an unpleasant living situation. Maybe it's a form of coping with low self-esteem or some other complex. Maybe they don't feel they have "justification" about talking about baby names without being pregnant themselves and feel like interlopers (these types of sites can be very cliquey if there are people who create some time-based hierarchy of users). Maybe they're writers test-driving a character or they're doing some type of role-play. Maybe they just have nothing better to do.

Also, beginning any type of witch hunt for "fake" users quickly devolves into "you're describing a situation or family unit that I find unusual, so therefore it must be fake" which disenfranchises a lot of real people and families and quickly becomes exclusionist. I've seen some highly non-traditional family situations that if they had been posted here, certain people would scream "fake", like a polyamorous relationship where the girl was having a baby and wanted a name that would make all three of them happy. I can easily see someone screaming "Fake! Burn the witch!" so regardless of whether or not the OP was fake, real people in similar situations become discouraged from posting (or post watered-down, inaccurate examples) and even begin to feel like their family is "wrong" or "weird". So there are actual repercussions to the fake profile witch hunt.

Either way, it doesn't impede my personal enjoyment of the site. I have no kids nor am I planning any time soon, but I do love names. I'm still talking about names, and I'm not planning on making a virtual best friend here, so I don't care if a user has a whole made-up backstory so long as there's a real person (fake life or not) at the other end of the keyboard, not a bot. This isn't facebook or linkediin, it's a forum for talking about baby names. So long as we're still talking about names, I don't see much of a problem. How would you like people to "prove" they are real? Should they post birth certificates or ultrasounds? No one is getting hurt, we're all still talking about names, so the problem is...?