Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Why beat around the bush, ladies? It's obvious who you're all talking about, and this is starting to turn into kind of a petty thread. "Nobody wants to talk about the names I love, only the sparkly names. No fair." Well, yes, for the most part. I mean, what else is there to say about Jane? Jane is great. I love Jane. She's a quiet little beauty. You could have 20 pages of people saying, "oh yes, Jane is pretty," or "a little boring, but yes, I do like it." Faerydae, on the other hand, is polarizing. You're going to have tons of responses right off the bat because most people have never heard of it, much less considered it for an actual person! And then you're going to get the myriad responses letting you know you're a horrible parent for wanting to name your child Faerydae, followed by the defenders of the name. Before you know it, it's 20 pages long. You want to talk about Anne, Peter, Ada and Thomas? Fine. I love them all. They're classics for a reason, everyone for generations loves these names. You really can't go wrong with them. I mean it when I say I love them all, especially Peter and Anne from that group. I'd love to meet a little Peter and Anne.

If this were a fashion forum, and someone wanted opinions on a cream cardigan and a wool skirt, you'd get responses like "safe but pretty/classic" whereas the tiger stripe strapless number is going to get tons and tons of comments because you don't see that everyday. A lot of people are going to hate it, and a lot of people are going to tell you to go rock that dress.

If you're upset that the obscure names get all the attention, then make it a rule to only comment on the classics. Right now Sally is sitting all by herself in the girls' section with one comment. Go give her some love! When you want to talk about a classic, come up with a really creative hook for the title of your thread. Everyone likes a catchy title. Add a photo for inspiration or talk about how the name makes you feel so we feel what you do about the name. Pimp that name out! Make us love it, make us want to say something more than, "yeah, it's a nice name".

I've already said my piece about fakers and trolls, and I suppose the copycats could sort of fit in there, although personally I love seeing a name I've recently talked about get searched/added to signatures, and hope others feel the same way. It's a nice feeling when the weirdo names you love are loved by other people.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Polaris Fae ● Isabeau Jane Sophronia ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Khione Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

Let your 'not pregnant' flag fly

I'm not pregnant, and I don't have any kids either. In the past few months I've surprised myself at how much I love talking about names and trust me when I say it will be quite a while before I am expecting.... so don't be shy, there are others like you! Your name advice is just as good as the next. Own it! Besides, this whole site was started by a name-lover way before she had children. Get inspired, not discouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodfey View Post
    Why beat around the bush, ladies? It's obvious who you're all talking about, and this is starting to turn into kind of a petty thread. "Nobody wants to talk about the names I love, only the sparkly names. No fair." Well, yes, for the most part. I mean, what else is there to say about Jane? Jane is great. I love Jane. She's a quiet little beauty. You could have 20 pages of people saying, "oh yes, Jane is pretty," or "a little boring, but yes, I do like it." Faerydae, on the other hand, is polarizing. You're going to have tons of responses right off the bat because most people have never heard of it, much less considered it for an actual person! And then you're going to get the myriad responses letting you know you're a horrible parent for wanting to name your child Faerydae, followed by the defenders of the name. Before you know it, it's 20 pages long. You want to talk about Anne, Peter, Ada and Thomas? Fine. I love them all. They're classics for a reason, everyone for generations loves these names. You really can't go wrong with them. I mean it when I say I love them all, especially Peter and Anne from that group. I'd love to meet a little Peter and Anne.

If this were a fashion forum, and someone wanted opinions on a cream cardigan and a wool skirt, you'd get responses like "safe but pretty/classic" whereas the tiger stripe strapless number is going to get tons and tons of comments because you don't see that everyday. A lot of people are going to hate it, and a lot of people are going to tell you to go rock that dress.

If you're upset that the obscure names get all the attention, then make it a rule to only comment on the classics. Right now Sally is sitting all by herself in the girls' section with one comment. Go give her some love! When you want to talk about a classic, come up with a really creative hook for the title of your thread. Everyone likes a catchy title. Add a photo for inspiration or talk about how the name makes you feel so we feel what you do about the name. Pimp that name out! Make us love it, make us want to say something more than, "yeah, it's a nice name".

I've already said my piece about fakers and trolls, and I suppose the copycats could sort of fit in there, although personally I love seeing a name I've recently talked about get searched/added to signatures, and hope others feel the same way. It's a nice feeling when the weirdo names you love are loved by other people.
    This exactly.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodfey View Post
    So if I ask about Peter, Thomas, and Eeyore for a son, feel free to reply honestly about Peter and Thomas being boring but Eeyore being so awesome and unique and how I should keep it on my list. I think it's pretty evident that not everyone on this board likes the classics so perhaps people should speak up and step outside their comfort zone regarding comments to names. Give people the honest feedback they're looking for. So you think all of the names on someone's list are boring or grandma names or completely ridiculous. I'm sure you could find at least one name from their list that you like though and if you can, push for it. Say "The only one I like is x because y". If there honestly isn't a name you like, suggest something different, I know several ladies are great at that (and honestly do a wonderful job of it).

And these yous don't apply to you, they're general yous.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

For me, I tend to get lured in by titles.
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.