Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Am I the only one?

I've just noticed how my taste in names has changed so drastically as I've gotten older, and I was wondering if I was the only one? It's only my taste in girls names that has changed, which is another thing I find so odd. I found notebooks from when I was as young as 10, with my favourite names in them, the lists are as follows:

Age 10: Emily, Piper, Phoebe, Olivia, Paige, Leah, Amy, Lucy, Sophie

Age 13: Amelia, Kaitlyn, Savannah, Eden, Georgia, Emma, Lauren

Age 15: Lauren, Sophie, Melody, Alexa/Alexis, Lucie, Katie

Age 16: Leah, Charlotte, Ella, Emily, Sophie, Georgia, Poppy, Aoife(ee-fa), Caoimhe(kee-va)

Age 18(nearly): Athena, Persephone, Peony, Illyria, Ophelia, Vesper, Blythe, Augusta

Some of the names I loved (Emily, Alexa/Alexis, Katie, Olivia, + Kaitlyn) I now hate, and others I still don't mind, but I could never use them. Am I the only one who's gone through a drastic change like this?
    Girls: Amelia, Ava, Emily, Sophia, Ella, Freya, Charlotte, Millie, Eva, Florence, Matilda, Eleanor, Martha, Violet, Clara, Betsy, Mabel, Ada, Lillian, Minnie, Tillie, Doris, Edna

Boys: Harry, Charlie, William, George, James, Alfie, Joshua, Archie, Henry, Daniel, Edward, Harrison, Adam, Matthew, Michael, Liam, Callum, Louis, Albert, Andrew, Ernest, Darcy

~no matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world~

As we age, we expand our horizons and look beyond our small world. As we gain knowledge of numerous subjects, read more literature and magazines, we are exposing ourselves to other cultures and interests. We are not the same people at 18 that were we at 10 years old. If it's natural for people to change as they mature, isn't it a given that your name preferences would change too? Let me make a prediction: hang around on Nameberry for awhile and your favourite names will change multiple times. Names you liked in the past will fall by the wayside and new names you never imagined will suddenly strike a chord.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Not at all, the names I like are constantly changing and evolving.

Under 10- Samantha, Nicole, Kirsten, Danielle
    Around 16/17- Abigail, Devin, Quinn, Liana
    Around 20- Alaina, Natalia, Genevieve, Zara
    24 (before my fiancé's opinion mattered)- Alaina, Maya, Susannah, Louisa, Fiona
    26 (now)- Fiona, Eva/Evangeline, Gwyneth, Alice, Eleanor

Considering:
    🍂Jane*Fiona*Thea*Gwyneth*Alice*Evangeline*Bridg et
    🍂Oren*Lars*Bram*Griffin*Jude*Nolan*Otis*Kieran

I was literally thinking about that yesterday when I was making a chart of names I used to like as a teenager/child vs names I like now. It is always changing, but to compare what I liked at age ten/eleven and through my teens until now is drastically different.
    When I was 10 and 11this was year 1994-1995)
    Shannon
    Alexis
    Kristin
    Never thought about boys names-only what I would want to be addressed as if I could have changed my name.
    Ages 13-18: 1997-2002
    Shannon
    I wanted to be named Shannon Jordan Smith Taylor. I don't know why. I couldn't figure it out then, and still cannot understand why those particular names in that order.
    If I couldn't change my name I would have settled for AJ, my first two names are Ashley Juliette and the initials were tomboyish to me, which is maybe why I liked them. I was a tomboy for many years.
    Taylor
    Jordan,Jordynn
    AJ
    Leigh
    Eve
    Ieva(ee-yev-a)
    Inga
    Kimberly
    Crystal,Christyl(had a friend with it spelled this way and was always rearranging the letters of the name)
    Lillith
    Lillian
    Tori
    Madison
    Candace or Candace Bree
    Shannon-Kelli
    Jordan Kellie
    Madison Rose Garden (very specific)
    Ashtyn
    Jan
    Heidi
    Chelsea
    Vada(vay-dah)
    McKenzie
    Kenzie
    Dakota
    Stiill was not too interested in boys names but I liked:
    Isaac,Izaak,or some other annoying spelling
    Devon or Devyn(yn would be for a girl)
    Micah
    Tyler
    Quinton
    Zandyr
    Jedediah
    *Currently*
    boys:
    Prescott
    Isaac
    Zavier
    Zander
    Zachariah
    Tobias
    Isaiah
    Malachi
    Malachite
    Caleb
    August
    Ian
    Marshall
    Mitchell
    Raphael
    Dimitri
    *Girls:*
    Ieva
    Heidi
    Juniper
    Asha(aw-sha)
    Coral
    Coralyn
    Coraleigh
    Robin
    Exanthia
    Alexandria
    Emberley
    Dawn
    Iris
    Laurence(wren)
    Florence (wren)
    Jay
    Oriel
    Oleander
    Quartz(only for a middle)

PS-good subject/post!

Prior to discovering Nameberry, my taste in names was a lot like your age 10 and age 13 lists. After I discovered Nameberry, my taste in names became extremely Victorian/British aristocracy. Then I had this period where my list was all over the place stylistically and I couldn't figure out what I liked. Now my taste in names is what you see in my signature.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline