• Esmee

0 0%
  • Esmae

0 0%
  • Esmay

2 3.57%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Esme Spelling?

Have you chosen a spelling yet? I'm still plugging for Esmée. I realize most people won't use the accent. I accept that, and I'd be okay with it. Not everyone understands (or is interested in) French culture like I do/am. But I would still go for the traditional feminine spelling over the most popular in the US. Mainly because I have a unisex name and I hate it; I wouldn't purposely give my child the unisex spelling of anything if there's a fully feminine variant.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Esmée.

Esme pronounced as "Esmay" makes no sense, phonetically speaking. You need the accent.
    Esmé is masculine. If you're going to use a foreign name, at least make an effort to respect the original language. You'd probably laugh if you met a French man named Frances.

I don't understand the problem accents. Names are increasingly more international and there are thousands of Americans named Renée, Désirée, José, César, Zoë, and many others with umlauts and cedillas and apostrophes and hyphens in their names. She'll be fine —*and she'll be able to say she has a properly spelt name.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

Ashthedreamer... I genuinely do like Esmée the best, if it counts for anything. Though it is the dark horse in the race it is my favorite. If I could get away with using the accent as well, I would. Like lexium said, accents in the US don't really matter unless it is official paper work, so I will use the accent and stress to her it's non-importance unless it is an official document.

Truth be told, at the moment I am thinking of using Esmerée instead. Don't know if to do another poll or just go ahead and use it. I think it's rarity will give me more space to feely use the accent and set the pronunciation, but I am still thinking about it.
    But most definately I will be using some form of the name with the extra e and the accent.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarplumfairy View Post
    Esmée.

Esme pronounced as "Esmay" makes no sense, phonetically speaking. You need the accent.
    Esmé is masculine. If you're going to use a foreign name, at least make an effort to respect the original language. You'd probably laugh if you met a French man named Frances.

I don't understand the problem accents. Names are increasingly more international and there are thousands of Americans named Renée, Désirée, José, César, Zoë, and many others with umlauts and cedillas and apostrophes and hyphens in their names. She'll be fine —*and she'll be able to say she has a properly spelt name.
    haha, thank you! So much of what I had tried to say in earlier threads (which was received with much grace, I must say!)--I'm just glad I'm not the only one thinking it. (Plus, you were probably much more eloquent than was I!)
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

"and she'll be able to say she has a properly spelt name"

sugarplumfairy, this is actually the most important thing.
    Whilst it is in the low 900s in America... It is actually #261 currently in the UK with the properly spelt name.

I really do love properly spelt names, I just also wanted the general concensus which is why I created this poll.