Names Searched Right Now:

Why no Love for Laverne

Old Laverne, why isn't she dusting off yet.

I always thought Laverne was a man's name.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline

The only thing I picture when I hear Laverne is an old, hunched back woman beating someone with her cane.
    Ian Alexander Cameron Blaise Damien Cole Axel Sean Callum Bryce Lennox Beau
    Blair Annevieve Camryn Atalya Piper Caydence Tallulah Sage Senna Kai Haven Lux

I think that Laverne is no more "old woman with a cane" than Hazel or Eleanor, which seem well-liked.
    I think Lavinia & Lavender have all been trending here & feel very 2013, just waiting for a celeb to use one.
    Who doesn't love a lovely, lyrical L name or a zippy kooky V?
    I think the problem is the "La" has less emphasis than the "Vern" which feels hard & I associate as masculine. In fact, the Vern sound makes me think of the little person who was in Austin Powers.
    I would LOVE to meet a Laverne though! It is kind of a vintage-fun-diner-waitress kind of name. I would put her in a list with Wanda, Nancy, Bonnie...but at the same time Laverne is more dignified & powerful sounding. Still diner waitressy, but she is probably the shift manager! These names could all totally work right now & be the new vintage, but I don't think parents are ready...
    Lorraine & Loretta maybe Letitia all have a better shot.

Laverne just doesn't sound very feminine to me. The first thing I think of is the old 70's show Laverne & Shirley. Not sure she's ready now (or possibly ever) for a revival. Some things are better left in the past.