Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Too common?

Hybrid View

Too common?

Recently, I've fallen head-over-heels for the name Delilah. I love the way it sounds and the way it looks and the way it feels when it's said. That being said, is it too common? Or even if not too common, do you think people with associate it with the biblical story? Because I dont, but I am not a very religious person, and I dont know if people who were more religious than I would make the connection and think of it negatively. I really like the combinations of Delilah Aurora and Delilah Spruce and even Delilah Ptarmigan.

Just to throw these both in one post, what do you guys think of Lex on a girl? I love it. I think it's adorable. As a combo, do you guys think it works as a nickname for Helena (Hell-ehn-a) Alexandra? Is there another name you'd put it as a nickname for, besides Alexa and Alexandria (both of which are pretty, I just happen to like Alexandra a tad better.)
    G: Sawyer, Clementine, Evangeline, Natalie, Hazel, Saiorse, Stella, Wren (Birdie), Bianca, Melody, Roux, Olive, India Scout, Minerva, Delilah, Daisy, Darcy, Clio, Junia, Pfeifer, Kate, Mary Claire, Violet, Fiona, Ella, Poppy
    B: Balthasar, Basil, Ezekiel, Reuben, Sebastian, Finnian, Eric, Dean, Wallace (Wally), Zephyr, Cecil, Lysander, Schuyler, Nico
    Girl Groups: Clementine, Mary Claire, Stella
    Boy Bands: Balthasar Alexander, Cecil, Basil
    Twin Teams: Luna and Linus

#1 Delilah.
    I love the name and though I was raised strictly Catholic, I don't associate it too strongly with the biblical figure.
    I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I loved it that much. Though it is popular, I don't think that it is too popular for usage. I usually stay away from top 100 and it's not there (as yet)
    This is just my opinion and other berries will disagree as this topic has been brought up many times (even within the last few days)

Delilah Aurora is a bit matchy and Spruce sounds a bit masculine (I don't know this name at all so I may be ignorant on the matter). Ptarmigan: I've never seen this name before.

#3 I like Lex on a girl but beware it rhymes with sex, so the association may come up with other kids if you plan on having this as the main nickname.
    I like Alexandria the best but this is just my personal taste, Alexa and Alexandra and even Alexis will be fine for this

I see where you're coming from on the matchy bits of Delilah Aurora, but at the same time, my name is Sophia Luella, so I'm really used to hearing the -ah sound end names, especially in succession. Spruce is a bit masculine I suppose, but I also like names like Darcy and Sawyer on a girl, so gender isnt a big deal in names for me, I guess! A ptarmigan is a sort of bird. It's pronounced tar-mee-gan. Thank you so much for your input
    G: Sawyer, Clementine, Evangeline, Natalie, Hazel, Saiorse, Stella, Wren (Birdie), Bianca, Melody, Roux, Olive, India Scout, Minerva, Delilah, Daisy, Darcy, Clio, Junia, Pfeifer, Kate, Mary Claire, Violet, Fiona, Ella, Poppy
    B: Balthasar, Basil, Ezekiel, Reuben, Sebastian, Finnian, Eric, Dean, Wallace (Wally), Zephyr, Cecil, Lysander, Schuyler, Nico
    Girl Groups: Clementine, Mary Claire, Stella
    Boy Bands: Balthasar Alexander, Cecil, Basil
    Twin Teams: Luna and Linus

(1) Delilah is absolutely NOT too common. I've never met one and I'm in my 30s. I know one Delia (also in her 30s) but that's as close as I come. Also, I am fairly religious, but the Bible story is not the first thing that comes to mind when I hear this name. First I think of the song "Hey there, Delilah" (which I like, but I suppose is very popular), then I think "what a beautiful name that you don't hear very often!", then I think of the Bible story. As for middles, I first should note that we have VERY different naming styles, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. Delilah Aurora: a bit matchy, but Aurora is gorgeous and I will always vote for its use since it's a favorite of mine that I can't use because DH hates it. Delilah Spruce: I do not like blatant nature names at all, but something about this combo really appeals to me. Delilah is strongly feminine and beautiful and Spruce is simpler, softer, and a bit wild in a way. Ptarmigan: This is one of those blatant nature names I cannot like. And though you didn't list it, I have to mention Delilah Roux (from your signature), which has a great sound, but roux will always be something you make a gravy or sauce with, not a person.

(2) I like the nn Lex for a girl. Alexandra is my favorite by far of the three you mention. I knew an Alexa who got called Lex sometimes, but it was a true nickname -- one used only sometimes for the purposes of brevity. Not an all-the-time nickname.

Delilah is definitely not too common, I would go for it! I honestly don't know of ANYONE with that name- young or old (only heard the name in a movie or TV). Also as a catholic, I would not associate the name with the bible or consider it a biblical name when hearing it