Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I think Juliet is fine. There are enough other popular culture references (Artemis Fowl, Lost, Psych, and now this song)
    to weaken the Shakespearian association at least some. I think it can be totally useable.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

I love Juliet. I think it is fine. I think it is just something people would only think about for a second, "oh, her name is Juliet, like Romeo and Juliet". I don't think it would be brought up constantly.
    Raquel-21 year old who loves names, books, and languages

Ladies: Catherine Isabella,Helena Margaret, Clara Josephine, Amelia Juliet, Louisa Genevieve, Eva Rosalind, Rose Fiammetta, Edith Lenore, Charlotte Rosamund, Eleanora Winter
    Gentlemen: Asher Frederick, Nicholas Hugo, Henry Oliver, William Grey, Matthew Isaiah, Thomas Alaric, George Everett

I'm really into Shakespeare so yes, I did think Romeo and Juliet right away. But even though I don't particularly like the character, I think it's a gorgeous name and I'd love to meet a Juliet. (On the subject of Romeo and Juliet though- has anyone seen the 1936 black-and-white version starring Leslie Howard and Norma Shearer? Amazing.)
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by bonfireazalea View Post
    I'm really into Shakespeare so yes, I did think Romeo and Juliet right away. But even though I don't particularly like the character, I think it's a gorgeous name and I'd love to meet a Juliet. (On the subject of Romeo and Juliet though- has anyone seen the 1936 black-and-white version starring Leslie Howard and Norma Shearer? Amazing.)
    I've seen parts of that version in English class in grade 9 :-), we watched that version, the 1968 version, and the, (very, very, VERY terrible), Leonardo Di Caprio and Claire Danes version. My cousin is named Juliet, and she's between 45-50, but I'm thinking kids mightn't have been as cruel towards her when she was in school, as they could potentially be this day in age. The other thing I'd be dreading would be the nicknames. I feel like a name as classic as Juliet should be left as is, but, I'm sure that everyone I know with a name that can be shortened, has a diminutive nickname, and the last thing I'd want would be for the beautiful, elegant Juliet, to become the very 1950's-1980's Julie.
    "But while some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled, but miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves, what a concept"

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonhaley View Post
    The other thing I'd be dreading would be the nicknames. I feel like a name as classic as Juliet should be left as is, but, I'm sure that everyone I know with a name that can be shortened, has a diminutive nickname, and the last thing I'd want would be for the beautiful, elegant Juliet, to become the very 1950's-1980's Julie.
    The only nickname I've heard is Jules (Jewels).

wow, 50s to 80s is quite a span. I think I connect it most with the late 60's early 70's
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin