Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish names - trends and classics

My whole family made a big holiday trip to Poland, to visit my relatives. I speak some polish, write just a very basic words - I thought I would start a thread about polish naming trends.

Classic/retro names are very popular, such as Aniela (Angela), Alicja (Alice), Hanna, Zofia (Sophie), Matylda (Mathilda), Julia and men: Leon, Jan (John), Franciszek (Frank), Stanislaw, Stefan, Jerzy (George)

Some trends are in and out. My auntie says there are plenty of Olivias / Oliviers and Julia's

There are single anglo-saxon names, which sounds strange, like Nicole, Kevin, Samantha, Brian

There are single typical polish names with polish vovels I couldn't repeat.

What do you think? Do you know some polish names? Do you find them interesting? Maybe there are someone from Poland who could help us?

What do you think?
    Zelda Astrid - 21.02.2011
    Dashiell Roman Leif - 15.05.2013
    Vita Malin - 23.04.2014

Soon-to-be aunt for the first time!

If you take a look at the lists of most popular baby names in France over the past few years, you can see that Gaelic names have become popular there too... names like Kevin. So it isn't just Poland. I think it's great that there's a renewed interest in keeping older Polish names alive. They look wonderful written out, I wish I could hear some of them pronounced by a native Polish speaker.

If you want to hear them pronounced by a native Polish speaker, you can look them up on forvo.com
    Favorite names at the moment:
    Simone Sage
    Andre Larion

Other names I like: Veronica Vivian Lydia Octavia Bianca Flora Zulima Augustine Elsa Avalon Zamora Carmina

@janis0616 - Thank you! This is what i was looking for!
    Zelda Astrid - 21.02.2011
    Dashiell Roman Leif - 15.05.2013
    Vita Malin - 23.04.2014

Soon-to-be aunt for the first time!

I'm jealous of your trip! Poland was my grandparents' birthplace, and Polish was my mom's first language. I wish I understood it better.

I enjoy Polish names, and I like playing around with them as middle names in my combos. A few of my favorites: Marcelina (with the nn Celina--the name of one of my great-great-aunts), Edyta, Zuzanna, Zofia, Lucyna, Adelajda, Estera, Kacper, Piotr, Dominik, Nikodem, Augustyn, Izaak, and Eliasz.
    ----
    Mom to N
    Malcolm, Tristan, Aaron, Garrett, Vincent
    Iris, Bridget, Bonnie, Averill, Petra