Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Cruella's association is a lot stronger than Ursula's IMO. As essjay said, Disney probably made up Cruella for the movie, while Ursula has been around for a lot longer (it's a minor character in Much Ado About Nothing). I think Ursula would probably be a big up-and-coming name if it weren't for the Disney villain. Maybe 10 years from now people will start to notice it, but for now it's very tied to the character. I personally don't mind the association, but I think most of general public does.
    Previous account: elrock13

Welcoming my new baby sister or brother in February!

I agree with you ladies about both names- I was mainly using cruella as a example since stood out to me the most.

I think Ursula could be uniquely sweet & even if we could get past the association to try & revive her im afraid she may get made fun of in elementry due to her ties.

As pp have said Cruella de Vil's name was invented by Dodie Smith (not Disney) when she wrote 'The Hundred and One Dalmations', and is a play on 'Cruel Devil'. In fact in some translations where the world 'devil' doesn't have quite the same meaning, she's know as Cruella de Mon - 'Cruel Demon'. I don't think the association is ever going to be positive!

Ursula on the other hand could probably shake it's sea-witch image somewhat if there were a few little real life Ursula's running around. A more modern media reference for the name might be Phoebe's twin sister in Friends, although admittedly she's not exactly a great role model either!
    My Top 10 Girls Names: Astrid, Elara, Evelyn, Hannah, Hester, Lorna, Megan, Ophelia, Sylvia, Tabitha
    My Top 10 Boys Names: Alistair, Andrew, Graeme, Hamish, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Aurelius, Damaris, Digory, Hermione, Isis, Phineas, Loki, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx, Orion

Well, Cruella has cruel in it but -Ella ending as well...And I don't find Ursula evil but beautiful.
    Victoria

Each magician has his own power sign...
    * Hector & Leontine
    ♈ ♉ ♊ ♋ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓ are under transformation into heroes and queens!

I honestly LOVE Ursula. It is top of my list for our next girl, but my husband thinks it sounds ugly.
    I would never name a person Cruella - it isn't even a legitimate name.
    New username is @ truenature