Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Name Change, How Should I Do It?

Now that I'm 18 (or I will be come October), my mum has said I can either go by my middle name, or combine my first and middle name together (double 1st name). I have always hated being Haley, ever since I was a little kid (I used to ask kids in school to call me by middle name when I was 6 but it never caught on). Because I'm starting a new school on Thursday (college here I come!), I need to make a decision rather quickly, and I'd love advice from my fellow berries!

My full name is Haley Alannah (al-on-nah), so, should I go by Alannah, or Haley Alannah? Regardless, I want to try avoiding being just Haley. It's a common name where I live, and I can almost guarantee there'll be at least 1 other Haley/Hailey/Hayley in my class, and I hate being referred to as 'tall Haley' or 'brunette Haley' or 'Haley S.'

What do you think? Alannah or Haley Alannah? If I go by Alannah, my nickname would probably become Allie. Thanks!

Florence, Edith, Doris, Alice, Elsie, Lillian, Violet, Mabel, Ada, Evelyn
    Eva, Edna, Minnie, Martha, Amelia, Phoebe, Sylvia, Hazel, Agatha, Beatrice

Matthew, Ernest, Louis, Christopher, Andrew, Albert, George, Joshua, James, Harry
    Freddie, Henry, Adam, Teddy, Daniel, Percy, Mark, Walter, Stanley, Liam

when you've been fighting for it all your life, you've been struggling every day and night,
    it's how a superhero learns to fly

I much prefer Alannah to Haley. My choices in order would be:
    1) Alannah
    2) Haley
    3) Haley Alannah -- Too long for a double name, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by leahmarie512 View Post
    I much prefer Alannah to Haley. My choices in order would be:
    1) Alannah
    2) Haley
    3) Haley Alannah -- Too long for a double name, IMO
    I agree with this. Haley Alannah seems like a mouthful. And the names sort of run together when I say them.

As for nicknames, I like Allie.

Go with Alannah.
    Mom to Mhairi Elizabeth (March 19, 2010) & Fiona Lilidh (Dec 21, 2012) Baby #3 Due March 2014

Alannah, definitely. If you wanted to go by Haley Alannah, I'm about 99.9% sure that it would get shortened to just Haley, because people can be lazy and won't want to spend the time pronouncing five syllables. (Though lovely, it is a bit of a mouthful.) And then you'd be right back where you were before. Plus, I think it would get old fast having to constantly tell people, "No, it's not Haley, it's Haley ALANNAH." You don't want to be that girl. And by using Alannah, you get the best of both worlds: lyrical, super feminine name with spunky, sporty, easy-to-say nickname. And the icing on the cake is that it IS your legal name! (Even if it's not in the first name spot.) You're changing it at the perfect time, too. Good luck on your new adventure!