Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Popularity isn't an issue for me. I'm an Emily born in the 90s, and it hasn't negatively impacted my life in any way. A lot of people seem to think that popularity is the kiss of death, and I honestly don't understand that line of thought.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline

First, I agree with others that you should go with what you love and not worry too much about popularity.

Secondly, #20 in the 1980s and #20 now are different things. In the '80s, there were about 13,000 girls with the #20 name, in 2012, there were only about 7,000 girls with the #20 name despite the larger U.S. population. This is because a wider variety of names is being used in general.

As to Isla in Vermont: According to whitepages.com, there was only 1 Isla in Vermont, however the SSA lists 5 in 2009, 6 in 2010, and 8 in 2012. I'll add those up...20 Islas. With a population of around 626,000 that's about 1 Isla in every 31,000 people. Of course, the name is on the rise. In the entire U.S. there were 1373 Islas born which (with about 4 million babies born per year) is about 1 Isla per 2900 children. But Isla is more popular in Vermont; #230 in the whole U.S. versus tied for #47 in Vermont. If we assume that twice as many Islas will be born this year as last (16) and that 2400 children will be born in Vermont (which I'm sure is an underestimate)...that's still only 1 Isla per 150 children. I think you're safe with Isla.

There were between 8,700 and 13,700 female Kellys born in the U.S. each year in the '80s, but that's only including the most common spelling. Plus, the U.S. population has grown since then. So Isla was only about one-tenth as popular in 2012 as Kelly was in the 1980's.

Here are the 2012 Vermont stats for the other names mentioned, assuming 2400 babies born per year:
    Henry: 25 boys = 1 per 96 babies
    Landon: 18 boys = 1 per 133 babies
    Emmet: 12 boys = 1 per 200 babies
    Calvin: 11 boys = 1 per 218 babies
    Grant hasn't made the list since 2002 (meaning 4 or fewer per year)
    Hazel: 8 girls = 1 per 300 babies
    Fiona: 8 girls = ditto

Note that three of your girls choices had 8 girls given those names in Vermont last year. Audret is highly unusual: has never made the national SSA list and there are only 13 people in the U.S. with the name according to whitepages.
    Last edited by iamamiam; September 4th, 2013 at 07:57 PM.
    Personal Favorites: Mira Cairdeas and Darrow Paine

Best Wishes To All

It depends on how popular the name is. Elizabeth and Jack don't bother me, but Ava, Isabella, Jacob, Jaden do. Top, top ten or trendy names I would avoid personally.

Quote Originally Posted by iamamiam View Post

Note that three of your girls choices had 8 girls given those names in Vermont last year. Audret is highly unusual: has never made the national SSA list and there are only 13 people in the U.S. with the name according to whitepages.
    oops, that was supposed to be Audrey

thanks for all of your data research though, very interesting!

I honestly think that going with what you love should always trump any type of "rule" you've set for yourself when it comes to choosing a name.

Isla and Grant are fantastic names together, by the way! Go with what you love- with your previous choices as an indication, I really don't think you can go wrong with a name for #3
    Lucia
    Sela, Iris, Eleanora, Minerva, Lilac and Bastian "Baz", Fletcher, Edmund, Joscelin, Gideon