Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ignore popularity?

Hi Berries!
    I'm working on a name for our 3rd child, first two are Isla Hope and Grant William. When I picked Isla it wasn't in the top 1,000, now in my state if Vermont it was #50ish last year. Oddly, I don't mind a bit. But name searching this time I again am obsessed with popularity. My name is Kelli and being a child of the 80s there were lots of other Kelly/Kellie/Kelley/Kellee around and I had to spell my name each and every time - but I have always loved my name, and have loved that it was spelled a little different. Heck, I was thrilled when I met other Kelli's that spelled it with an I. So why then am I so against giving my kids more common names? I'm having such a hard time finding names I like because as a Vermonter I really don't have a taste for more elaborate, long, exotic names. Basically if you look at the top 100 in Vermont - those are my favorite names but I had ruled them all out for being too popular. Shall I just ignore popularity and go forth into the naming world to find names we truly love?

Just did a little research- Kelly was 20something the year I was born with 12,000 babies naned that in the US and 124 in New Hampshire (where I was born). In order to be less popular than my own name I just need to basically stay out of the top 10 list.

I think that you should ignore popularity and ultimately just go with the name that you like best. The popularity may not always be there, but the name always will be, throughout your child's lifetime, wherever they move. You know what I mean?
    Abigail, Beatrice, Cecily, Elise, Hazel, India, Matilda, Scarlett, Svea

Isaac, James, Jasper, Julius, Lyle, Nicholas, Sebastian, Thomas, William

I agree with Nicole! I think that ultimately the most important thing about a name is that you love it.
    Popularity shouldn't matter all that much. I like to think of it as a way to help me make a decision (kind of like when you are in a restaurant and you can't decide between two things and choose the cheaper one. I use popularity to help me choose between two names I like equally well.)
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Quote Originally Posted by nicole_1024 View Post
    I think that you should ignore popularity and ultimately just go with the name that you like best. The popularity may not always be there, but the name always will be, throughout your child's lifetime, wherever they move. You know what I mean?
    I 100% agree with this.
    --Carla
    Mommy to Eva Lily Catherine, b. 1/31/2014