Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Will this work out?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, especially since it's a different genre.

3 50.00%
  • NO! How can you think that, those names are Suzanne Collins's only!

3 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Problem

A Problem

(for more info: http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...ious!-Part-One )

I wanted to write a humorous contemporary-romance book about two teens affected by The Hunger Games's popularity...because their name are Katniss and Peeta. Please vote!

Some boys' names (GPs or not): Draco, Jericho, Evelyn, Cirrus, Mason, Seraphim, Neil, Eustace, Trip, Pike, Sasha, Evander, Lachlan, Harlan, Linden, Vivian, Artemis, Jefferey, Leaf, Hansel, Adrian

I voted no- but not because the names belong to Suzanne Collins. I voted no because it seems extremely unlikely that anyone would be named Katniss or Peeta before the Hunger Games were published. If you're determined to use them, go ahead. They just don't make sense to me. What are their backgrounds (and I mean ethnic backgrounds- ie Mom is half Greek, quarter German, 2/8 Italian and 2/8 Japanese, Dad is all Russian) and what are their parents naming styles?
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

Actually, I'm not sure about those questions...I'm thinking the parents were friends who all read a (fictional) book called "1,000,000 Super Weird Baby Names", found the names in there, and decided to use them? Then, however many years later, The Hunger Games (obviously) got incredibly popular.

If that still doesn't sound good, what are some other 'famous book couples' with equally weird names?

Some boys' names (GPs or not): Draco, Jericho, Evelyn, Cirrus, Mason, Seraphim, Neil, Eustace, Trip, Pike, Sasha, Evander, Lachlan, Harlan, Linden, Vivian, Artemis, Jefferey, Leaf, Hansel, Adrian

A few "famous book couples" with odd names:
    Rochester and Eyre (Jane Eyre and Edward Rochester)
    Willoughby and Marianne (Sense and Sensibility)
    Buttercup and Wesley (The Princess Bride)
    Tristan and Isolde (myth based)
    Florentino and Fermina (Love in the Time of Cholera)
    Gatsby and Daisy (The Great Gatsby)
    Edward and Isabella (Twilight)
    Francisco and Aura (Say Her Name)

It also helps to know when they were born- I'm guessing early to mid nineties? Hope that helps give you a few ideas. Just do what you feel is right for your story.
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

I'm leaning toward either Tristan and Isolde or keeping the first plan...Thanks!

(Also, I like Mariposa and Araminta, too! )