Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

The Enchating Eccentrics: Lads

I am starting our second naming journey, now haunting brother names for Cornelia Hermione Winter. Our last time was pretty crazy and all over place so I'd like to start earlier and ideally have a top 10 by the end for back ups.
    Firstly, I want to shorten the list we have so far. Here are the ones we've noticed, collected and liked for a while and new additions as well.
    They are mostly mythological and historical, we'd like him to have a strong heroic namesake.

Update page 6, please see new list

Adonis
    Apollo
    Atlas
    Balthazar
    Bellerophon
    Cecil
    Celio
    Constantine
    Cosmo
    Edmund
    Endymion
    Hephaistion
    Isidore
    Leander/Lysander
    Lionel
    Leonidas
    Lorcan
    Nestor
    Odysseus/Ulysses
    Orpheus
    Paris
    Perseus/Percival
    Phineas
    Poseidon
    Severian
    Stanislav
    Stellan
    Wilfred
    Zeus
    Boyfriend's ideas:
    Anastas (No, not my taste at all)
    Basil (Like this but maybe it's to spicy for a boy)
    Sherlock (He's cool, sure but second Sherlock ain't so fine)
    Thaddeus (Nice but too close to Theodore)
    Wilfred (I love the idea of baby Fred, pass)
    Wolfgang (Wolf's gang? I don't know for sure but music connection is lovely)
    Zev (I prefer Zeus)

Oh, I am delighted I have finished boys, they are harder to collect. So, again, I would love you to help me until 10-12 names are left. Tops, comments and thoughts all welcome. Not starting middle names yet.nAnd if you have suggestions, feel free to share, we are still open!
    Last edited by mclevine; September 6th, 2013 at 10:17 AM.

I'd cut:

Bellerophon - Belle/Bella is too popular for girls at the minute, unfortunately.

Stanislav - Unless you're Russian/etc. This gives off a very Eastern European vibe that I think would be hard to wear if you didn't have the heritage to back it up.

Phineas - Nice as it is, Finn and names that start with the sound are very popular and trendy at the moment. It sounds like you want something a bit more unusual, and a name with a popular playground nickname might not be the best way forward.

Adonis - I've heard this used to refer to hunky celeb men. Not sure it's the sort of thing that would work on a little boy, seems a bit paedophilic to me when I try and picture it.

Faves:

Edmund - Nell and Ned would be so cute together. A strong handsome classic.

Leonidas - Not my usual style of name but for some reason I love this.

Perseus/Percival - I think either of these would be a great option.

Severian - Got a bit of a thing for -ian names.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

Like with the girls, I think you should choose a clunky-beautiful name, like Cornelia is. I love her statuesque quality, and I think you should keep up with the sensible-quirkiness.

Keep:
    Balthazar - Gorgeous, the perfect balance.
    Basil - If you don't like, you don't like, but it's very nice with Cornelia's name.
    Constantine - If the repeating Co-sounds doesn't bother you I'm all for it.
    Cosmo - Same as above. Cosmo is seriously cool.
    Edmund - A bit boring against the rest... but it's a lovely name.
    Endymion - I love this (shocker!), I'm not sure it fits, but I love it too much to cross off.
    Isidore - This is pretty perfect.
    Leander - I'm not sure, but it is nice. I think it's too pretty though, I like the names you love that are ugly-pretty (a good thing!).
    Leonidas - Love this for you. Cornelia and Leonidas. Nelly and Leon. Swoon!
    Lionel - If you eliminate Leonidas. I love Lionel!
    Nestor - Ooooh, sooooo clunky and funky! Nestor's good.
    Percival - Teehee. I love Percival, such a lovely name. Very knightly and fun.
    Phineas - See, perfect clunkiness. Adorable.
    Sherlock - Über cool! Love with big sis.
    Stellan - I love Stellan, I think it's gorgeous with Nelly.
    Ulysses - Works very well. Prefer this to Odysseus for you, I think you should continue with the Roman versions .
    Wilfred - my absolute favourite for you. Ivanhoe is a cool namesake.

Get these off your list:
    Adonis - Unless you know your kid is going to look like Brad Pitt scratch it OFF.
    Anastas - I don't need to convince you on this one.
    Celio - No.
    Paris - Good namesake? He was not. Boring cheap idiot.
    Zev - Too short.

I don't mind any of the rest, Orpheus I love, but it doesn't fit in, and I know you love Hep and Bel, but honestly, they're too much with Cornelia. In my opinion.

Suggestions:
    Achilles
    Alastor
    Amadeus
    Amphion
    Ariston
    Benedict
    Cadmus
    Crispin
    Ganymede
    Hadrian
    Horatio
    Ignatius
    Marcus
    Rufus
    Septimus
    Siegfried
    Theron
    Theseus
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Oh, fun! I love your daughter's name.

Favorites from your list:

Balthazar- You can't really beat the look and sound of this name.
    Edmund- I've always had a soft spot for Edmund. Lovely name with nickname options (If you're into that).
    Endymion- Another great sound. So strong.
    Isidore- One of your wispier sounding names, but very handsome.
    Leander- Another softer sound.
    Leonidas - My husband wants this on our list, but I'm just not adventurous enough.
    Ulysses- Prefer the Roman spelling. Lispy in a good way.
    Percival- This would be on my list if I could get my husband on board. Love it.
    Phineas- #1 for me (for a long time). One of my favorite boy names.
    Basil- Love this! We live in an area where everyone says "bay-zil", so my husband didn't want to use it on a kid. I named my Betta fish Basil a few years ago. I miss him dearly.

The only ones I do not like are Cosmo, Paris, and Orpheus.

Cosmo is still very much Cosmo Kramer to me (from the show Seinfeld). I would love to get that image out of my head, but some are too horribly strong.

I don't think Paris will go over in the way you intend it (maybe he has a better chance since his sister is Cornelia), but it seems like a trendy place name when taken out of context.

And Orpheus just makes me think of orifice. Every time I see the name, my mouth forms the shapes of orifice. I don't know why.
    Bonnie Clementine, Frances Matilda & Olive Hermione
    Boys Under Construction