Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Need help with spelling: Cybele

Let me start with I LOVE this name! . . . nobody else does. I originally selected it because it seemed honorific of my grandmother Sybil, I love the meaning and imagery that accompanies the goddess Cybele, and it's so very musical.

Now that I love it though I am worried about spelling and pronunciation. Baby girl will have a 3 syllable last name beginning with "L" that I do not even ATTEMPT to say on the phone with customer service (I just spell it out) -- I don't want my daughter to have to do this with BOTH of her names!

My choice is Cybele Bird L. -- I figure, she can go by "Birdie" when she is younger and as an easy out at school if her name proves to problematic. I DO NOT like the nicknames "Cy", "Sibby", or "Belle" at all and I have been told that the name as is is very hard to pronounce and spell so I "need a nickname" . . . blahhh.

The alternate spellings DO give the opportunity for the name to *look* more like "Sybil", and be more readily pronounceable by the American public (which needs to be specified since Cybele is a much used name elsewhere) . . . thoughts, guys? I'm so lost :/

Here are the other spelling alternatives I've come up with, please give any and all feedback on "Cybele" versus an alternate. Thanks!

Sibiley
    Sybiley
    Sibyley
    Sibillie
    Sybelee
    Sybilee . . . (ugh, I really start to hate the idea of changing to a phonetic spelling around this point!)

I always thought the English pronunciation of this name was closer to SEH-bell-ee.

I imagine your daughter will have some issues no matter what. Even if you spell the name phonetically, when she's on the phone with customer service she'll still have to say. "My name is Cybele. It's spelled phonetically"

Honestly, I don't think the name works with a phonetic spelling. It takes away the meaning of the name. If you like Cybele, you should use Cybele. A phonetic spelling would help with job applications, doctor's appointments, and the first day of school. But is it really worth it to take away the significance of the name?

definitely change the spelling to match the pronunciation which i understand rhymes with "Civilly"

because it sounds like you need a y at the end, i wouldnt use it again, 2 y's in one name is a bit much

Sibiley seems the best choice

Sibillie works for the Billie nickname (which i dont like much for girls anyway) but it will always be misspelled

Sibiley gives her a fighting chance

edit for above post: I imagine your daughter will have some issues no matter what. Even if you spell the name phonetically, when she's on the phone with customer service she'll still have to say. "My name is Cybele. It's spelled phonetically"

- people will STILL HAVE TO ASK, they wont know how you spell it phonetically because there are multiple ways, its just more likely Sibiley will get the most correct guesses
    i do not ignore the Rich Text toolbar provided me. i bold, italicize, enlarge, underline and CAPITALIZE for emphasis, individuality, and to capture attention among the endless Arial Standard Size Font that everyone else uses.
    i am not screaming nor will i cosset you. i do this to highlight the most important aspect of my thoughts so they are not lost again in the never ending sea of tiny, black, tempered letters that make up forums everywhere.
    ~*~ i encourage you to do the same ~*~

I only love Cybele, so no to any alternative spellings.
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna. 22. Name nerd.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair | Lucias
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Stellan | Amias

Actress Cybil Shepherd uses the spelling most familiar to me.