Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Brutal honesty on the names in my signature?

I finally combined the girls in a way I like, and found a handful of boys that I like individually as well as in a sib-set. What do you think?

Girls:
    Imogen Lark - Imogen after my mum, Lark after my dad. A very roundabout way of honoring them, but it feels right.
    Clementine Joy - Both meanings together perfectly describe my dear grandmother. Joy isn't my favorite name, but using a different middle feels less honoring.
    Artemis Jane - I honestly just adore both of these, there's no deeper meaning behind it.
    Rosamund Coraline - I just love Rosamund, and Coraline is a roundabout way of honoring a sister.
    Florence Juliet - Same as above, the middle is a roundabout way to honor a sister.

The only first-and-middle combinations I am 100% decided on are Imogen Lark and Artemis Jane. The others I welcome suggestions or critique on.

Boys:
    Philo
    Asa
    Beau
    Oswin
    Hamish

As you can see, I have no middles here yet. Scott is a definite middle, as is Edmund/Edwin. I also like offbeat virtue middles like Prosper and Noble.

Well...how's it look?
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

Imogen Lark - Not really a fan of either name, but I like that it honors your parents.
    Clementine Joy - Eh. Lukewarm on this one. I can't quite get on board with two-word-name combos.
    Artemis Jane - Love it. So elegant and balanced!
    Rosamund Coraline - Gorgeous! I adore both of these.
    Florence Juliet - I've never been able to see the appeal of Florence--it just sounds ugly to my ears! Juliet is okay, but I strongly dislike the Shakespeare character so that ruins the name a bit for me.

Boys:
    Philo - All I can hear are the "____phile" jokes.
    Asa - I love it, but I think I'm in the minority there.
    Beau - I knew a really mean Beau once, so I can't be objective here, but it sounds uptight to me.
    Oswin - Love it! So quirky.
    Hamish - Not sure how I feel about this one. It's ok, I suppose.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Odette Cosima Viola Ailsa Coraline
    Emmett Kieran Prosper Zeke August

Imogen Lark: Absolutely perfect!
    Clementine Joy: Clementine is absolutely lovely, but I'm not sold on Joy. However, it is still a nice combo.
    Artemis Jane: Gorgeous!
    Rosamund Coraline: Lovely. I love both the names but the flow seems a wee bit off.
    Florence Juliet: Absolutely love Florence! I've never been a fan of Juliet, but the pairing is still nice.

Now, onto the boys.

Philo: Not a fan of this...I just think of Filo pastry, though I do realise that I may pronounce either filo or Philo or both incorrectly.
    Asa: This is one of those names I want to like more. A nice name, but I feel as though something's missing.
    Beau: Dated in my opinion...I've just never been a fan of this name.
    Oswin: I love this, and although it is a masculine name, there's something that just seems so feminine about this name.
    Hamish: Love this, but I feel that the connection with Hamish Blake is too strong here in Australia at least.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    [CENTER]~Ebony~
    ----------------------------
    [COLOR="#66cc33"]Ignatius - Jasper - Hugo - Edmund - Henry - Oliver - Rupert - Felix - Percy - August - Atticus - Amias - Otto - Barnaby - Arthur - Ezra - Hector - Charles[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#cc99cc"]Antigone - Hermione - Harriet - Cordelia - Violet - Persephone - Beatrice/Beatrix - Clementine - Ottilie - Florence - Octavia - Drusilla - Agnes - Ida - Matilda - Xanthe[/COLOR]

[/CENTER]
    [SIZE=1]Previously ebonyeden[/SIZE]

[RIGHT][SIZE=1]avatar is my 8th great grandmother.[/SIZE][/RIGHT][/font]

Imogen Lark- I am not a fan of Imogen but I know you love it, so its perfect. Also Lark is a gp of mine.
    Clementine- I am not a huge fan of Clementine but I like it with Joy.
    Artemis Jane- I like this. My favorite from your list.
    Rosamund Coraline- I agree with Fiammetta.
    My favorite from the boys is Asa.
    Raquel-22 year old who loves names, books, and languages

Ladies: Clara Josephine, Amelia Juliet, Louisa Genevieve, Rose Caroline, Charlotte Rosamund, Eleanora Winter, Marina Adelaide, Emmeline Margot, Alice Primrose,Annabel Frances
    Gentlemen: Frederick Arthur, Nicholas Hugo, Henry Oliver, William Grey, Matthew Isaiah, Thomas Alaric, George Everett, Edmund Tobias, Asher Benjamin, and James Raphael

Your girls' list seems to be solid Nameberry favorites, none of which I can fault -- they're all perfectly lovely. I particularly like Rosamund (though agree that Coraline is a bit heavy in the middle) and Artemis Jane.

Your boys' list, on the other hand, makes my heart sing. I adore Oswin, and Hamish is a strong heritage name that deserves more love in the US. Asa is an underused classic; Beau is positively dapper. Unfortunately, Philo will forever make me think of the pastry dough.
    Simon, Eloise, Faye, Judah, Thea, Marina, Felix, Iris, Cordelia, Roscoe, Lydia, Jasper, Phaedra, Adrian, Lucinda, Jane, Wallace, Finnegan, Sylvie, Charlie, Juniper, Atlas, Matilda, Julian, Alice, Marlowe, Octavia, Jack, Marigold, Ruby Louise, Archer, Violet, Gabriel, Persephone, Dov, Louisa

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...