Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dizziness? Platelets? freaking for no reason?

Hi ladies,

I have a sort of random set of circumstances....

I've been super dizzy for the last week. Sometimes so bad it's hard to walk straight or focus my eyes. It's been giving me headaches and making me nauseated.

So I went to the doctor and she basically said 'I dunno'. She called it mild vertigo and told me to rest and take motion sickness meds. She also had me get basic blood work done.

Then I went to a friends house and told her about how I was feeling dizzy and she laughingly said, 'Maybe you're pregnant! I was dizzy when I was pregnant.' I looked it up and apparently it's true--it's sometimes a symptom during pregnancy.

Then I got the results from my blood work. The nurse said that everything was normal except my platelets were a bit low. The doctor wasn't too concerned, just wants me to repeat the test in a few months.

So of course I googled, "low platelets" and one of the first things that came up was that it can sometimes happen during pregnancy.

My question is this: am I freaking out over nothing? Do they test your hormone levels for pregnancy during routine blood work and thus would have told me if I was pregnant? I'm taking birth control so I have no reason to think I am. Is this connection of dizziness and low platelets just a weird coincidence or did any of you have a similar situation early on? I just don't want to get myself all worked up over nothing.

Any words of sense and reason?
    Livy/Lucy : Geneva/Gwen : Coralie/Alice : Noelle/Eve
    Eli/Bennett : Jude/Zane: Luke/Leo : Levi/Phineas

The thing is, there are so many things that can be a symptom of pregnancy. I was dizzy a lot for the first few weeks I was pregnant with Roo, it made me very nauseous and I thought I had a migraine coming. I was on the pill when I got pregnant, so it happens! In my experience, whenever I've said to one of my friends - especially those with children - that I'm feeling a bit off in some way, their first response has always been "maybe you're pregnant!".

I googled low platelets and dizziness is one of the most common symptoms, so it might be just that. Good luck, though, and if you're pregnant you'll make a beautiful mama!
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    The thing is, there are so many things that can be a symptom of pregnancy. I was dizzy a lot for the first few weeks I was pregnant with Roo, it made me very nauseous and I thought I had a migraine coming. I was on the pill when I got pregnant, so it happens! In my experience, whenever I've said to one of my friends - especially those with children - that I'm feeling a bit off in some way, their first response has always been "maybe you're pregnant!".

I googled low platelets and dizziness is one of the most common symptoms, so it might be just that. Good luck, though, and if you're pregnant you'll make a beautiful mama!
    Yes, exactly, it feels like a migraine is coming on, but it's never quite fully there.

And you're right about women saying everything reminds them of this or that pregnancy symptom.

Maybe it is the low platelets causing the dizziness.

I just need to chill out and not get worked up. I just feel like I can't say anything to anyone because everyone would go crazy if I even brought it up in passing. I think the only person who wouldn't be thrilled out of their mind at my being pregnant is DH, lol!
    Livy/Lucy : Geneva/Gwen : Coralie/Alice : Noelle/Eve
    Eli/Bennett : Jude/Zane: Luke/Leo : Levi/Phineas

Dizziness is a side effect of a low platelet count. Neither one individually or in conjunction would necessarily lead a physician to jump to pregnancy. More likely, your platelets are low as a result of something else... Have you had a virus? Been on an antibiotic or other medication? Do you have tenderness in the spleen area (left side below rib cage)?

Routine blood work does not include a pregnancy test though so, all that said, if you have any reason to suspect pregnancy you need to take a test ASAP. Pregnancy can happen while on the pill (as ottillie attested to!). It's probably worth ruling out in case. Good luck!!

I understand how you feel, I was terrified when I realised I could be pregnant with this one. You should take a pregnancy test to be sure! And if you are pregnant I'm sure your husband would be happy. Surprise babies are the best! (not that i've got any experience with the other kind, haha!)

I'll be thinking of you, hoping it turns out the way you want it to!
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014