Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Maya or Maia?

I pronounce them the same. Mah-Ya. I prefer the Maia spelling, though they are both pretty. What I DISLIKE is spelling it Mia and expecting THAT to be pronounced the same way. I always assume Mia should be pronounced like Mee-Ya.

I think if someone told me their name was Mah-Ya and I had to guess how to spell it I would guess it was spelled Maia... but maybe that's just due to the french influence here in Canada or something?

Either way, very pretty choice.
    New username is @ truenature

I had never heard of the name Maya/Maia until recently teaching at a school and this beautiful little girl was named Maya. Her name was spelt Maya so I pronounced it as May-a, but she told me it was pronounced as MY-A. I prefer the pronunciation of My-a. It's prettier. Ever since discovering this name, I love it. Its on my list now. I like the way Maia looks though. You would pronounce Kai as KY so I think Maia would be pronounced correctly most of the time. So I'm probably going to go with Maia from now on.

In my family everything is pronounced phonetically so Maya is May-UH and Maia is a bit difficult for me because my brain says it the same; but I know its different, if that makes sense! I prefer Maya, mainly because its close to Mira which I quite like. I think Maia would be easier though

Jessica Emily Faith
    German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Esther- Wade - Romy - Carter

I pronounce them both May-a.
    I prefer the Maia spelling though
    〜Ebs〜
    Isobel*Eloise*Matilda*Alice*Eleanor*Amelia*Elena* Mirabel* Felicity* Phoebe*Tallaulah*Eilidh*Rosalia*Roisin*Azalea*Elsa *
    Eamon*Tiago*Cooper*Jack*Jago*Flynn*Archer*Lincoln* Asher*Alfie*Taylor* Finnian* Baxter* Lawson*Jasper*Deacon*Lewis*
    babynameobsessed.wordpress.com

I pronounce both My-a
    I prefer Maya aesthetically.
    Also, i don't mind unique spellings once there aren't more than one offender in a name.
    Like y and ee in one name... no (eg Mylee)