Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Name with history - comparable to Sunniva

Sunniva is an old Norse name that comes from the Anglo-Saxon name Sunngifu from at least over 1000 years ago. There was a saint by that name who went to what is now Norway and there are legends attached to her persona.

I can think of lots of other names with such history - names from the Bible, names taken from mythology, etc. Even a lot from Germanic languages (old German, Ango-Saxon, old Norse, etc). But I can't think of names that are that old, that feature a person from history and/or legend, come from a Germanic language, AND start with the target letters of L or J. I'm not afraid of unusual names, but it needs to be somewhat pleasant to English speaking ears and sound like a name - even an unusual one - rather than an odd collection of sounds.

Any ideas? Or am I trying to reach the impossible?

Sunniva is so beautiful, plus it has such an empowering past attached to it. I think its important in this day and age to empower our daughters, and names can be the first step in that process.

If you love Sunniva, let yourself be happy with it! Sometimes we second guess our self and keep trying to see if there's an even better name out there, even if we've already found the perfect one. If you don't think Sunniva is the one, try looking here and here.
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen

Thanks for the links! I'm not something to replace Sunniva. Need something in addition to it. I'll read through the links now!

Are any versions of Legerta usable for a modern name? Legertha, Legerta, Legerthe? nn Gerta or Gertie? Any other nn possibilities? Meaning is something like "weaving yard." It is a Viking name, very old name, and there was a shieldmaiden (woman warrior) by this name. It is also the name of a character on the modern history channel TV show, named after the woman this character is based on. The real woman is also fairly fictionalized at this point with many stories baring similarities to stories of Norse Goddesses. Is that usable by any stretch?

There is also Leofgyth which has several more modern spelling and pronunciation possibilities: Lioba, Leoba, Luuith, Leviva, Lefgiva, Liveve, Leuefa, Leviet, Leviede to name a few. It means "beloved gift." (Lovely meaning!) She is the name of an Anglo Saxon saint circa 1000 years ago born to previously barren parents. She was dedicated to God as a result of her miraculous conception and birth and became a nun. She was captured by the Danes, survived, eventually become a missionary in Germany. Is this in any of its forms usable today?

Lorelei, derived from old German and she was a beautiful water sprite in mythology! Cute nn Rory.

I also absolutely love Ludivine with Sunniva... I think that they sound perfect together. Again Germanic roots but lacks mythological history... Sunny and Lulu are adorable together!