Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Naming a Goddess of Chaos

Hi all. I've been cruising around the internet looking for a name for this character of mine, and I just can't seem to find anything that I like enough on my own. Maybe someone here has a good idea or two (or dozen)?

Brief background: She is the main character of a fantasy with a geographical setting much like the American west (think snow-capped mountains, redwood forests, deserts, foggy coastline, etc). And she also happens to be a goddess of chaos and insanity in a pantheon a bit like the classic Egyptian or Greek pantheon.

So I'm looking for names that aren't too Roman or Anglican... Weird is okay. Anything with a cool meaning behind it is awesome. Especially anything related to chaos, destruction, madness, the night, the moon, darkness, the color black. But mostly I'm just looking for any name someone thinks might be good for a goddess of chaos. Help!

Well, the first thing I thought of was Eris, considering she was an actual goddess of chaos, though that may be a little too obvious for you. Lilith means "of the night," and Nyx was a night goddess, Artemis/Artemisia/Diana was a moon goddess. Maura means "dark." Desdemona - "ill-starred."
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid

Quote Originally Posted by bibliophile View Post
    Well, the first thing I thought of was Eris, considering she was an actual goddess of chaos, though that may be a little too obvious for you. Lilith means "of the night," and Nyx was a night goddess, Artemis/Artemisia/Diana was a moon goddess. Maura means "dark." Desdemona - "ill-starred."

I think Maura and Desdemona are in the right vein. I guess I'm looking for things that don't already have characters in their own right? I love Lilith but I could never use it due to the Biblical implications. But it has that beautiful sound with darker meaning that I'm looking for.

Actually, I was just looking at storm/weather names and found Aella which could work... I don't know!

Charna - dark or black
    Deirdre - sorrowful
    Kali - black one
    Leila - darkness or night
    Luna - moon
    Saskia - knife
    Ingrid Genevieve | Evanna Yvaine | Winifred Pearl | Astra Gillian | Hazel Odette
    Rose Mireille | Irene Octavia | Andromeda Neve | Phaedra Delphine

Damian Orion | Simon Cornelius | Eleazar Maximus | Gareth Ryan
    Raphael Abram | Wendell Alder | Shepherd Phoenix