Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Talking From Dad: Is Astron Arion too much?

My girlfriend and I are expecting in the begining of 2014. I am a total nerd, and while she is down with the nerdy, she doesnt necessarily want something too much nerd.

She already axed Cosmo, and Orion. So instead I decided to play with some others.
    I came up with Astron as a play with ASTRO (similar to Cosmo) + Ashton/Aston (to keep it sounding like a name).
    I also still love Orion, but instead went with the alliteration and made it original as Arion.
    Last name is also an A name, Avila.

as•tron a•ri•on
    [as-truhn] [uh-ryan]

It still has the spacy feel. Yet it is creative and original since I made it up.
    So what do you think, is Astron Arion Avila too much? and why..

Thanks!

Joe-Daddy
    Last edited by joeavila; August 31st, 2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Change word Arangement

Interesting...the problems are: any name w/the 'Ass- sound' as the first syllable will lead to merciless teasing, and Arion is a bit close to Aryan which is associated with the Aryan Nation (but it's a middle name, so you could get by with it). May I suggest Ariston--an ancient Greek name of an impoverished poet/scholar, a Spartan king, and other early notables? It pairs nicely w/Calisto, a moon of Jupiter, if I'm not mistaken. Ariston Calisto Avila sounds nice.
    Last edited by rkrd; August 31st, 2013 at 10:59 AM.

I thought about the ASS sound and just ASSumed that guys named Ashton, Aston, Auston etc are getting away with it. But it is something to consider.

When reading Arion, it almost looks like Aryan. Well if we use it, it's the middle and sounds like Ah-Ryan. Plus we are a three times mixed couple (Hispanic/black/white). Hopefully they dont connect it with nazis. Lol.

I do like Ariston! and it does go well with Calisto or even Castillo.

Thanks much rkrd

Astron sounds like a short form of Asterion (two Greek kings bore this name, one the father of Minos), Arion (A-ree-uhn) is the name of a poet and cithara player in Ancient Greece.

For me the three a's and very repeating sounds are too much. And since you're asking I'm pretty sure you feel that way too . But I like both names (and you've got a gorgeous surname!). Good luck!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

If you're looking for a space-feel, you could consider:

Galileo
    Altair
    Nash
    Atlas
    Leo
    Sirius

Arion looks to me to be pronounced "ARE-ee-on" or "Aryan", so I'd stick with Orion if that's the sound you want.

People differ on alliteration; i happen to be one of the people who dislikes it.

As it stands, i don't think Astron Arion is the worst name you could possibly give him, but i also don't think its a very good name.

If the space theme is what you're going for, there are tons of ideas here on nameberry. Several members here could suggest lists ten times as long as what I've suggested. If you get stuck, make a new thread asking for space/astronomy names.

Good luck, and congrats on your son!
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.