Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What are your favorite Asian names?

After reading through Dantea's anime thread, I was thinking about some of my favorite anime characters and it dawned upon me just how exotic and pretty Asian names can be. Sometimes, I like to use them for naming various characters I draw, but now I need some fresh ideas.

Some of my favorites:

Kotomi
    Sakura
    Emiko
    Risa
    Misaki
    Mirai
    Chiyo

What are your favorites? I know the ones I listed are all Japanese and girl names, but you can list other Asian names for both/either gender as well
    Last edited by tay2thestars; August 31st, 2013 at 02:50 AM.
    ~inside this teenberry's mind ~
    ~
    Vote on combo possibilities (updated 4/5/14)
    ~
    Slowly reconstructing
    ~
    ♀ ~ Adair ~ Cassia ~ Cecilia ~ Cordelia ~ Ivy ~ Kestrel ~ Lyra ~ Mary ~ Petra ~ Shira ~

♂ ~ Benjamin ~ Caspian ~ Finnian ~ Jack ~ Julian ~ Levi ~ Nathaniel ~ Ronan ~ Tristan ~

☺ ~ Cassia Jane ~ Cordelia Alice ~ Ivy Seraphina ~ Lyra Genevieve ~ Mary Valentina ~ Shira Beatrix ~
    ~ Jack Peregrine ~ Julian Hawthorne ~ Ronan Wilder ~

Considering: ~ Finnegan ~ Lux ~

You realize that Asia is the largest continent in the world, right? So are you looking for Thai names? Israeli names? Pakistani names? Indian names? Mongolian names? Are you interested in names from Turkey, Siberia, Indonesia, Cambodia, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Laos, Korea, or Papua New Guinea? How about Russia? (You know, the biggest country ever.)

Asia contains 60% of the world's population. Please don't reduce a complex and heterogeneous part of the planet to a handful of cultures that you've only been exposed to through cartoons.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    You realize that Asia is the largest continent in the world, right? So are you looking for Thai names? Israeli names? Pakistani names? Indian names? Mongolian names? Are you interested in names from Turkey, Siberia, Indonesia, Cambodia, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Laos, Korea, or Papua New Guinea? How about Russia? (You know, the biggest country ever.)

Asia contains 60% of the world's population. Please don't reduce a complex and heterogeneous part of the planet to a handful of cultures that you've only been exposed to through cartoons.

yeeeeeah we all know Asian means Asians - Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean etcs - those that are ethnically Asian.

Russians, Indians, & all the Middle East are three totally different races.
    i do not ignore the Rich Text toolbar provided me. i bold, italicize, enlarge, underline and CAPITALIZE for emphasis, individuality, and to capture attention among the endless Arial Standard Size Font that everyone else uses.
    i am not screaming nor will i cosset you. i do this to highlight the most important aspect of my thoughts so they are not lost again in the never ending sea of tiny, black, tempered letters that make up forums everywhere.
    ~*~ i encourage you to do the same ~*~

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post

And I'm a part of that 60%, thank you very much. I guess just giving a list of some of your favorite names from a variety of those cultures and just saying where they're from isn't enough information to make an actual list and move on. Since you want me to be specific, let's go with the most well known of the Asian cultures: China, Japan, Korea, etc. You know, counties the average person thinks of when they hear "Asian".
    ~inside this teenberry's mind ~
    ~
    Vote on combo possibilities (updated 4/5/14)
    ~
    Slowly reconstructing
    ~
    ♀ ~ Adair ~ Cassia ~ Cecilia ~ Cordelia ~ Ivy ~ Kestrel ~ Lyra ~ Mary ~ Petra ~ Shira ~

♂ ~ Benjamin ~ Caspian ~ Finnian ~ Jack ~ Julian ~ Levi ~ Nathaniel ~ Ronan ~ Tristan ~

☺ ~ Cassia Jane ~ Cordelia Alice ~ Ivy Seraphina ~ Lyra Genevieve ~ Mary Valentina ~ Shira Beatrix ~
    ~ Jack Peregrine ~ Julian Hawthorne ~ Ronan Wilder ~

Considering: ~ Finnegan ~ Lux ~

Quote Originally Posted by tay2thestars View Post
    Since you want me to be specific, let's go with the most well known of the Asian cultures: China, Japan, Korea, etc. You know, counties the average person thinks of when they hear "Asian".
    You're just digging that hole even deeper, aren't you?

I mean, SERIOUSLY? "Most well known"? "Countries the average person thinks of"? SERIOUSLY? You're generalizing and essentializing so hard it makes my head hurt. The countries I think of when I hear "Asia" are all the countries I listed above because they are all countries in Asia. I don't know about you, but I'd say Afghanistan is pretty well-known given that we waged a fairly recent war there. It's also kind of hard to tune into the news without hearing about Israel. Just saying.

Also, LOL@ "yeeeeeah we all know Asian means Asians - Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean etcs". Yes, "Asian means Asians"! Because that isn't a completely ridiculous and unhelpful tautology! Also, would you mind defining "ethnically Asian" for me? I would love to hear that.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...