Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Boy Name Brainstorming

We are having our first baby boy, due in December. We cannot agree on any names at all.

We have one 2.5 year old daughter named Alessandra Mae (Alessandra for my mom Sandra and Mae for his mom Mae).

I would like our son to have a name with similar meaning but none of the male names really stand out to me, or seem like names I can call a little boy...Even though I know he won't always be a little boy. I just can't see it.

Some of the family names we would like to incorporate but can't find a way to use are Harold, Derrick, Bennett or Jonathan.

I can't see calling a baby Harold. Hal is too short for our last name which is also one syllable. Variations of Derrick would be good if we could find one we like as we don't want to actually use Derrick- the only one I could think of was Broderick. Not sold on it. Bennett is a last name in my family but again- it's just not ringing that "it's the one!" bell. Jonathan is my hubby, I don't really want a junior- gets too confusing. I suggested Jonah but he didn't like that.

Is there anyone out there much more creative than I am that can come up with some good alternatives that incorporate any of these names, or variations of these names?

Thank you in advance for your assistance, I really appreciate it.

Jennifer

Firstly... I absolutely adore the name Alessandra Mae. I love the name Alessandra and Mae is a lovely middle name.

Harold- Prince Harry's full name is Henry, so Henry would be a nod to the name and also carry the nickname Harry.

Derrick- Any D name along the lines of Dexter, Dylan or 2 syllable D names would be fine. If you want an actual extraction from the name you could take out the Rick. Rick is short for Richard or Ricardo or Frederick.

Jonathan- I know you don't want a Junior but every thought of using Jack as a nickname? Jack is a nickname for most names with a J. One example Being Jack Nicholson whose full name is John Joseph Nicholson. Along that line of thinking Jackson could also be a viable option.
    Also you can focus on the other half of the name 'Nathan'. You could use Nate, Nathan or even Nathaniel.

Bennett- The first name I thought of was Beckett, which is very similar. The next one was Benjamin. You can nickname him Ben or Benji or even Banjo.
    Ben can also stand for Benson, Benton, Brent, Brett/Bret or even Bentley
    Bennett is a form of Benedict, so there is another option

You can also make a subtle nod to any of these names by taking the meaning of the name and finding another name with the same meaning. Not sure if that is the direction you want to head in as it is a less obvious nod to the names.

Hope that could help!
    Last edited by giinkies; August 31st, 2013 at 02:03 AM.

Here is a list of names with the same meanings as the original

Bennett "blessed" -
    Search Results | Nameberry.com

Harold "army ruler" -
    the only other name that came up was Walter

Jonathan "gift of jehovah"-
    this search just came up with Jon variants and Zebediah which I am sure you won't be naming your son.

Derrick-
    nameberry did not have a meaning for Derrick so ?
    Last edited by giinkies; August 31st, 2013 at 02:01 AM.

Harold - variation is Herrick, which also helps honor Derrick!

Derrick - try Deitrick, Alarick, or even classic Eric

Bennett - from Benedict, could also try Benjamin

Jonathan - Nathan, Nathaniel, and also David since the Biblical David & Jonathan were best friends
    i do not ignore the Rich Text toolbar provided me. i bold, italicize, enlarge, underline and CAPITALIZE for emphasis, individuality, and to capture attention among the endless Arial Standard Size Font that everyone else uses.
    i am not screaming nor will i cosset you. i do this to highlight the most important aspect of my thoughts so they are not lost again in the never ending sea of tiny, black, tempered letters that make up forums everywhere.
    ~*~ i encourage you to do the same ~*~

For Derrick you could also try Roderick.