Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Day Care

No matter who you leave your child with there will be some concerns. Personally I would much rather address concerns related one trusted adult than a whole day care of unknown child care providers.
    Talk to your mom. Address the concerns you have and see how that goes. From my perspective, I would rather have my infant in a comfortable home and with someone who loves her than in a daycare. You can always choose to use the daycare down the line once your daughter is a little older and ready for socialization. Right now she doesn't need to be socialized, she needs love, cuddles and consistency.
    I'm not saying anything negative about daycare but since you have another viable option I think it's worth exploring.

I've been using an In-home daycare and preschool since Weston was 8 weeks old, so 5 years on October 4th. I love it.

the structured part is really for the toddlers, children on a meal time. Babies aren't as structured, and they'd never withold food if its obvious that the baby is hungry.

I recommend touring the facility. Most centers have Infant Rooms... so that their idea of structure is a lot more loose than the other rooms.

good luck!
    Mom to:
    Weston Christopher, July 2008
    Keegan Nathaniel,
    Dec. 12, 2013
    Sebastian Miller,
    Dec. 12, 2013

Current loves:
    ~ Emerson ~ Eden ~ Rosalind ~ Caroline ~ Matilda ~ Gemma ~

~ Landon ~ Kellan ~ Asher ~ Griffin ~ Archer ~ Edison ~ Holden ~ Harrison ~ Elliot ~

I second what Gracianern said. I work in a day care/preschool and we don't really start a structured schedule until the kids get to be 2 years old. Make sure you address any concerns with your child's teacher and the director. Most centers are pretty open and honest about the way they do things. They might try to gently encourage your child to sink up with the other children in her class, but a good day care would never force a baby to go without food! Trust me, we HATE to hear a screaming baby even more than you because it tends to upset our other children as well, and then they start to cry too, and it is a vicious cycle that ends with the teacher needing a drink and a tylenol at the end of the day. Also, just something to consider, when one person keeps baby all the time, baby becomes very attached and boundaries can get crossed. Not a big deal if you are the laid-back, don't get jealous kind of person, but personally, it would KILL me if my child became super attached to another woman, other than me. Good luck and I'm sure you will find what works best for you!
    It's Official: Mother of Two, now
    Harold Jonathan, nn
    Hal
    and Kurt Matthew!

I had a pretty bad experience with my son. She would leave her house with him in it to take her children to the bus about a block away. And he'd be awake screaming so loud you could hear it from outside the house. We only caught her once and she claimed it was the first time but I didn't believe her. So definitely not a concern for a center. It was in an in-home daycare and while she was licensed and had experience it was just her and the kids. I think had we chose to use a center he would have gotten better care since there is more oversight. We also had a rough time when we pulled him out and she was very unprofessional since we were neighbors we still had to see her and she'd completely ignore him. If you can afford it I think it's better not to use a family member since then things can get awkward if you don't approve of how they are doing things or if you decide it's not working out. Or worse if they decide it's not working out and give you little notice.
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)

Quote Originally Posted by frances322 View Post
    Also, just something to consider, when one person keeps baby all the time, baby becomes very attached and boundaries can get crossed. Not a big deal if you are the laid-back, don't get jealous kind of person, but personally, it would KILL me if my child became super attached to another woman, other than
    I'm very baffled by this. If you are not there with your child wouldn't it be comforting to know they are bonding with someone on a consistent basis? At such a young age, those bonds and attachment are so Crucial and if there is an option for a child to be with a loving family member that seems preferable to a variety of child care providers that have no vested relationship with your child. I can understand the jealousy part but she's talking about the child's grandmother. What boundaries could possibly be crossed there?