Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

If people can name their kids after some Bible character, I can name mine after my favorite characters from other works of literature. I'm a writer and a graduate student in lit; books are the most important things in the world to me. Honestly, this post makes me think you don't actually understand literature. Or naming. You might want to work on that.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

"Ridiculous", "hate", and "awful" are some pretty strong words. Do you really feel that strongly about people named after characters from a book? I find that pretty strange, and I have to assume you're not a lover of literature.

In our home, you will find a book anywhere you look, and they are all loved. Some of them I've grown up with, and it's usually from these that I find pieces of my soul looking back at me. Thumbing through these books is like coming home. To me, these characters are a part of me, and when I give my children the names of these characters, I am sharing something powerful with them that I trust they'll understand.

I would be more shocked if my children hated books or somehow didn't 'get' what a gift I'd given them in naming them for a loved character than if my children came out of my vagina with purple and green polka dots and antenna. Love of literature goes back for generations on my side and my SO's side. We are book people, word people, poets and lovers of imagination and creativity.

I'm sure it's not just you, but you're probably in the minority with your feelings, at least here on NB.
    Considering...
    Annika, Artemis, Bianca, Catherine, Evadne, Felicity, Gwendolen, Isabeau, Isadora, Juniper,
    Lorelei, Lyra, Octavia, Pandora, Petra, Sunniva, Thisbe, Thora

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian, Conrad, Damian, Desmond, Evander, Everett, Ezra, Griffin, Gwydion, Malachi,
    Peregrine, Phineas, Theodore

click for my name lists
    our furbabies: Sebastian and Oleander

In every room in my home you will find books. The same as when I was a child, you would be more likely to see my 3 year old reading than watching TV or on the computer. Each night before bed we read at least 5 stories with our girls and they are always wanting more.When I tell people about myself one of the first things I tell them is I have a love of literature. I remember the first novel I read, a book my Dad had read as a child and was then sharing with me. I look forward to the day my daughters can read the same story as I feel like I would be sharing a part of my life, a part of my story with them. The literature we read, whether fiction or non-fiction, is a part of our history. Maybe not history in the sense people normally view it but any book I read is a part of my own history. Although I have not named a child after a character in a literature there are many characters I love and would use their names because I love both the character and the name.
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

For me, names from literature means a lot! I've grown up with perfect characters that I still love (beside the princess' stories), and their names are gorgeous. I know that some of the names are common, while other might be "too" out there, though I could easily see myself with children with literary names. For me it could be little Laurel (Lemon) or even Orion on my little boy.
    Proud Auntie/cousin to;
    Noah (29-5-10), Silke (23-8-11), Sophia (18-11-11), Victoria (13-8-13) & Hopefully little Alex (due Dec!)

Dagmar Selene ~ Lystra Science ~ Linde Harriet ~ Oswald Seth ~ Laurel Bellamy ~ Ianto Lior~

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodfey View Post
    "Ridiculous", "hate", and "awful" are some pretty strong words. Do you really feel that strongly about people named after characters from a book? I find that pretty strange, and I have to assume you're not a lover of literature.

In our home, you will find a book anywhere you look, and they are all loved. Some of them I've grown up with, and it's usually from these that I find pieces of my soul looking back at me. Thumbing through these books is like coming home. To me, these characters are a part of me, and when I give my children the names of these characters, I am sharing something powerful with them that I trust they'll understand.

I would be more shocked if my children hated books or somehow didn't 'get' what a gift I'd given them in naming them for a loved character than if my children came out of my vagina with purple and green polka dots and antenna. Love of literature goes back for generations on my side and my SO's side. We are book people, word people, poets and lovers of imagination and creativity.

I'm sure it's not just you, but you're probably in the minority with your feelings, at least here on NB.
    Yes!

Our house has a whole floor with only books in it! And there's still books in every other room in our house (including the stairs), I always carry at least two books in my bag. My daughter already loves books, she's obsessed with them at five months, not just her books but she always wants to read mine as well. Our cats are book lovers too, I find them looking in books quite often. I don't fall out of love with books and their characters, they might not be my favourite anymore, but they're a part of me, they shaped me and taught me, and for that reason I will always love them. Like Fey said, I find pieces of my soul looking back at me (such a beautiful way to say it!). Books are the most important teachers, they're magical and enchanting. We're also a book loving family, there's a lot of writers and other creative minds on our family trees, and books has always been a big part of our upbringing, so I'm fairly certain my children will appreciate being named after literary characters (my daughter's two middle names have literary significance to me and my husband).

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    If people can name their kids after some Bible character, I can name mine after my favorite characters from other works of literature. I'm a writer and a graduate student in lit; books are the most important things in the world to me. Honestly, this post makes me think you don't actually understand literature. Or naming. You might want to work on that.
    I chuckled at this, and I completely agree.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]