Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hair Post Pregnancy - Major Breakage!

My angel is turning four months old & my hair looks like one big mess! Major Breakage is this normal? Anything you can do besides chop it all off ?

My hair has been highly processed over the years but I stopped when I became pregnant only dying it 2 times in the last year, religous use of leave in conditioners & rarely blow drying before she was born. i wouldn't say I had goddess hair when I was pregnant but it did go to the longest length I ever had it which is almost mid back.

2 weeks before she was born I had it trimmed & it looked pretty healthy. I only wash it every other day or so & now I dont blow dry at all and only use deep hairmasks. I noticed it becoming frizzy when I didnt use smoothing syrums id normally use before but I just thought it was due to thick hair.. Now I look at my hair and there are some spilt ends (given its been 4 months) but it looks like I have breakage going half way up my head!

I would hate to even cut a half inch off because I want it to grow but I dont know what else to do. For once I thought my hair was long & healthy then bam! Nasty frizzy bottom.

If your hair breaks it needs to be cut. Unhealthy hair is not attractive, and when you trim it the hair wants to grow out. If you leave the split frizzy ends the rest will follow. My hair still looks nice, but I know other people who've had hair problems after their babies have been born.

A tip (and this sounds worse than it is) is to use mayonnaise as a hair mask before you shampoo it. I do my own, I mix yolks and add olive oil little by little until it's mayonnaise-like (I know mayo's usually made with veg oil, but this makes the hair shinier). It makes my hair much easier to handle, and therefore less breakage. Also get a good brush, not a cheap horrid one.

Wash your hair everyday. The scalp is just as sensitive and needs just as much care as your face. Don't brush your hair while wet. Don't use hairdryer or irons in your hair. No hard sprays. Scalp treatment to make your scalp want to grow that gorgeous hair (Moroccan Oil is great, there's also one I've never used from Kerastase that I've heard good things about, and Shu Uemura's got one), and use oil in the hair as well to keep it nice, smooth and strong (Moroccan Oil or Shu Uemura). Use good s&c for damaged hair, Shu Uemura does great things. Maybe a thickening shampoo? Bumble&Bumble and Kiehls have great volume shampoos. Aussie's got a good Frizzy hair shampoo, and Tigi's got a mask.
    Last edited by ottilie; August 29th, 2013 at 06:58 PM.
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

Ill have to try the mayo suggestion, I just domt know where it came from. This last year esp last four months was the most I ever took care of my hair (previous love for straightening & blonde hair). I would under stand a little bit but it went to like 3 inchs of random frays in a month.

Are you vegetarian? If not (and this is going to sound really weird), incorporate gelatin into your diet. Gelatin contains specific animal proteins that strengthen your hair and nails. It won't undo the damage, but it will help prevent future damage, and it also promotes faster hair growth so you needn't feel as much distress about trimming off the split ends.

I thought this was just another one of those Southern old wives' tales until my friend needed to grow his hair out for a role in a school play in a short period of time. They had him eating Jello three times a day, and his hair grew from your standard 1-2 inch boys' haircut down to touch his shoulders in two months! It was long enough to be pulled back into a ponytail O.o
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Ender _____ ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Fawn or Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ and second-guessing River Selene

GPs
    Cirina Wryn, Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Parthenia Nyx, Astoria, Illyria, Gwyneira, Farasha, Serafina, Senara, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Hawthorne, Kenshin, Bastion, Remiel, Atreyu

Im not a vegetarian but im willing to try gelatin ! My hait never grows that fast ever which is why I dread this so much.