Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Rapunzel Expansion

just saw a closed thread about this name though i think it lovely, a lil much for a first name and a person would get tired of hearing 'let down your hair'.

but i think its a good middle or great inspiration for a unique first so i went looking.

origins of Rapunzels name may come from various stories, info i got from wiki:

1) Rudaba or Roodabeh is a Persian mythological female figure in Ferdowsi's epic Shahnameh. She is the princess of Kabul, daughter of Mehrab Kaboli, and later she becomes married to Zal, as they become lovers. They had two children, including Rostam, the main hero of the Shahnama.
    In Dari language of Darbar (Royal Court) which the shahnameh was written Rud means River and Aab means Water. Therefore her name means she of the River Water.

2) It is difficult to be certain which plant species the Brothers Grimm meant by the word Rapunzel, but the following, listed in their own dictionary,are candidates.
    - Valerianella locusta. Rapunzel is called Feldsalat in Germany, Nuesslisalat in Switzerland and Vogerlsalat in Austria. Etty's seed catalogue states Corn Salad (Verte de Cambrai) was in use by 1810.
    - Campanula rapunculus is known as Rapunzel-Glockenblume in German.
    - Phyteuma spicatum, known as Ährige Teufelskralle in German.

* anyone want to try getting some names out of those scientific plants?
    - Nuesslisa, Neusslisala, Neslisa/la, Nuess
    - Valeria (yay! a real one!), Valerianel, Valerelle
    - Campa
    - also like Etty!

3) An influence on Grimm's Rapunzel was Petrosinella or Parsley, written by Giambattista Basile in his collection of fairy tales in 1634, Lo cunto de li cunti (The Story of Stories), or Pentamerone. A similar story was published in France by Mademoiselle de la Force, called "Persinette".

4) In the collection of short stories "Red As Blood or Tales of the Sisters Grimmer" by Tanith Lee from the year 1983, Rapunzel is called "Jaspre" and the story is called "The Golden Rope."

5) In Kate Forsyth's Bitter Greens, a retelling of the Rapunzel tale, a little girl called Margherita, and renamed Petrosinella, has the red hair of eight other girls sewn onto her own fiery hair by the witch Selena Leonelli.

6) Some elements of the fairy tale might also have originally been based upon the tale of Saint Barbara, who was said to have been locked in a tower by her father.

7) Another Italian tale, Prunella, has the girl steal the food and be captured by a witch.
    - since Prune is so popular in France i could see this catching on somewhere. Prefer Plum so in this case Plumelle/a?

8) "Puddocky" is a German fairy tale. A variant, "Cherry," was collected by the Brothers Grimm, and in French, Madame d'Aulnoy retold it in a literary fairy tale as "The White Cat", altering the tale's frog into a cat. Some variants open with the heroine, who is so greedy for one type of food — cherries in Cherry and parsley in Puddocky — that her mother steals it for her. In Puddocky, this is from a witch who demands her daughter, like in Rapunzel. This story is similar to the Frog Princess/Prince.

9) Anthousa, Xanthousa, Chrisomalousa or Anthousa the Fair with Golden Hair is a Greek fairy tale collected by Georgios A. Megas in Folktales of Greece. The heroine's three names mean "Blossoming", "Fair-haired", and "Golden-haired"
    - not a fan of 'overly Greek' names so i shorted them to Anthsa, Xantha, & Chrisomal/a.

Though the majority of these arent truly real life usable, my favs are Jaspre, Persinette, Parsley, and the made up Neslisala. I'd prefer the Persian as Radabah to get rid of the 'rude' sound.

ps: a must read is the book Zel - a retelling of the fairy tale by Donna Jo Napoli its fantastic.
    i do not ignore the Rich Text toolbar provided me. i bold, italicize, enlarge, underline and CAPITALIZE for emphasis, individuality, and to capture attention among the endless Arial Standard Size Font that everyone else uses.
    i am not screaming nor will i cosset you. i do this to highlight the most important aspect of my thoughts so they are not lost again in the never ending sea of tiny, black, tempered letters that make up forums everywhere.
    ~*~ i encourage you to do the same ~*~

Thanks for the information!!!

My favorites are : Rapunzel, Persinette, Neslisala ( love it, nn Nessie is fantastic, too bad is made up :-( ) .
    I loved her not for the way she danced with my angels but for the way the sound of her name could silence my demons.~ Christopher Poindexter.

A lonely old soul : ~ Alaska ~ Remember *Mem* ~ Winter ~ Wolf .
    Little gent is currently nameless .

Thank you!
    now seeing this.
    I absolutely LOVE the name Rapunzel.

People name their children Aurora, Briar, Merida, Belle, Ariel, Khaleesi and a ton of Shakespeare inspired names.

What is the difference with/stigma against Rapunzel?

I think it is a lovely first name and I did see the plant association when I looked it up and I fully agree... people name their children after plants all the time (looking at you Lily, Dahlia, Clover, Daisy), why discriminate against this?

You love Hazel and tolerate Rafaela... Rapunzel falls into the same category stylistically.
    Before you go along the lines of it is a fairy tale, you ever heard of the name Merida before the movie? Didn't think so!
    Last edited by giinkies; August 29th, 2013 at 03:58 PM.

I read this on the other thread
    "it's still a rather grim story about imprisonment, torment and depression."

Ophelia in Shakespeare killed herself... what is your point?
    Romeo and Juliet both killed themselves?

Ariel in its original form (from the original little mermaid story) is a depressing tale as well, but it is also a name from Shakespeare.
    The name may have been around a long time before but Ariel is originally a male name (from Shakespeare), the female version has the original little mermaid depressing tale as a name sake.
    Last edited by giinkies; August 29th, 2013 at 04:34 PM.

Not again. The fact is that many people think the name Rapunzel is ridiculous. We were asked for our opinions so we gave it. I would never name a child this, just as I would never name a child Popeye or Gilligan. The names just have too much of a connection to the character.

By the way, neither Ariel nor Ophelia were invented by Shakespeare so the analogy is irrelevant.