Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriela View Post
    Not again. The fact is that many people think the name Rapunzel is ridiculous. We were asked for our opinions so we gave it. I would never name a child this, just as I would never name a child Popeye or Gilligan. The names just have too much of a connection to the character.

By the way, neither Ariel nor Ophelia were invented by Shakespeare so the analogy is irrelevant.
    I have to agree with this. Rapunzel is like Cinderella or Snow White imo. You wouldn't name your child that, would you? The names you listed have legitimate backgrounds and birth records. Ottilie was the name of a serial killer in the 1920's, but that name's still used. Delphine was the name of a woman who tortured and killed slaves in the 1830's, but that's used.

Plus that, there are in fact positive Ophelia namesakes. (courtesy of britishbabynames.com)

* Ophelia Alcantara Dimalanta (1932– 2010) was a Philippine poet and author.
    * Ophelia Lovibond (b.1986) is a British actress.
    * Ophelia Dahl is a social justice and healthcare equity promoter, daughter of author Roald Dahl and actress Patricia Neal.
    * Ophelia Marie is a popular Dominican singer of Cadence-lypso.
    * Ophelia S. Lewis (b.1961) is a Liberian author and humaniarian.

Ophelia was first used nearly 100 years BEFORE Shakespeare even used it, and it's a Greek name meaning help. (Not to mention Rapunzel opens up to rape jokes, I'm a teenager from a rougher high school, trust me, rape will come up if you in fact use Rapunzel).

Juliet;

Juliet Aubrey, a British actress
    Juliet Cesario, an American character actress
    Juliet Haslam (born 1969), an Australian field hockey player
    Juliet Huddy (born 1969), an American journalist
    Juliet Landau, an American actress
    Juliet Richardson (born 1980), an American musician
    Juliet Simms, an American musician
    Mademoiselle Juliette, best known as Juliette, a pop singer
    Juliette (singer), Canadian singer and TV personality of the 1950s-1970s
    Juliette Binoche, French actress
    Juliette Gréco, French actress and chanson singer
    Juliette Lewis, American actress and musician (born 1973)
    Juliette Récamier, French socialite (1777–1849)
    Juliette Noureddine, French singer, usually known as Juliette.
    Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Scouts

You were saying about Ophelia and Juliet only being linked to depressing story lines?
    “poetry, beauty, romance, love - these are what we stay alive for.”

♀: Doris ○ Myrtle ○ Martha ○ Minnie ○ Lillian ○ Florence ○ Violet
    Eleanor ○ Edna ○ Agatha ○ Louise ○ Phoebe ○ Ida ○ Elsie ○ Maude

♂: Matthew ○ Louis ○ Christopher ○ Andrew ○ Winston ○ James ○ Walter
    Albert ○ Ernest ○ Stanley ○ Alfie ○ Harry ○ Adam ○ Freddie ○ Joshua

Doris Evelina / Myrtle Amelia Grace / Matthew Winston / Louis Christopher

http://delighfullydoris.blogspot.ca/

Rapunzel is a common name for Valerianella locusta in Germany... again not invented by the creator of the story (wasn't the point of my analagy).
    just like Lily, Dahlia it is a plant name.

The point of my analagy was that just like Rapunzel is strongly linked to the story... so is Ophelia.
    The name is strongly linked to the character... I never read Shakespeare as a child and even I knew Ophelia was the woman who drowned herself in water.

I think lots of people give their children ridiculous names... have you read this forum or caught up with pop culture lately?
    Doesn't stop people from liking the name and giving it to their child.
    Celebs aren't the only people who give their children ridiculous names, they're just the most high profile ones.

My point was... they were linked to depressing story lines and people still decided to use it regardless!

Btw every single example of a name sake you gave was given after Shakespeare made the character famous.

It's real nice that you made a list of irrelevant people I have never heard of... but when you generally mention Juliet or Ophelia, the common person doesn't think of them off the top of their head.
    They go to the internet and make a list of it.
    200 years from now all those people will be irrelevent but the Shakespeare namesake will still be relevant.

The rape association I can get behind... but still it doesn't stop people from naming their child Virginia (Virgin) or Gina (Vagina)
    This is an association that is food for thought, but other names have bad associations as well

and people do name their child Snow... what is your point?

Quote Originally Posted by giinkies View Post
    My point was... they were linked to depressing story lines and people still decided to use it regardless!

Btw every single example of a name sake you gave was given after Shakespeare made the character famous.

It's real nice that you made a list of irrelevant people I have never heard of... but when you generally mention Juliet or Ophelia, the common person doesn't think of them off the top of their head.
    They go to the internet and make a list of it.
    200 years from now all those people will be irrelevent but the Shakespeare namesake will still be relevant.

The rape association I can get behind... but still it doesn't stop people from naming their child Virginia (Virgin) or Gina (Vagina)
    This is an association that is food for thought, but other names have bad associations as well
    Well, I've just finished high school, we NEVER read Hamlet in school, and, when it was suggested to us, my classmates (in an advanced level English course) had NO IDEA who or what the play was about. Let alone that an Ophelia was in it. Today's generation of teens isn't likely to remember a Shakespearean character they read about in high school (my class didn't). It's not a list of 'irrelevant' people, it's proof that those associations mean nothing to a lot of people. Plus that, finding any birth records from the 1500-1600's is close to impossible.

Quite honestly, I think you're just someone defending a name you like, however, you need to accept that we've been asked our opinions, and, not to mention, you didn't even create this thread. You don't have to like our opinions, and we don't have to understand/see why you like Rapunzel.
    “poetry, beauty, romance, love - these are what we stay alive for.”

♀: Doris ○ Myrtle ○ Martha ○ Minnie ○ Lillian ○ Florence ○ Violet
    Eleanor ○ Edna ○ Agatha ○ Louise ○ Phoebe ○ Ida ○ Elsie ○ Maude

♂: Matthew ○ Louis ○ Christopher ○ Andrew ○ Winston ○ James ○ Walter
    Albert ○ Ernest ○ Stanley ○ Alfie ○ Harry ○ Adam ○ Freddie ○ Joshua

Doris Evelina / Myrtle Amelia Grace / Matthew Winston / Louis Christopher

http://delighfullydoris.blogspot.ca/