Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rkrd View Post
    Great list! For those of us who grew up watching 'Little House on the Prairie', Nellie is mockable, but your generation is probably oblivious. Sorry your family isn't more supportive--did they share any of their name favorites??
    My sister loves Rory for a boy, not sure about girls names, but my mum loves Imogen, Haley (my name), Mikayla (my sister), Kathleen, Lily, Rosie, Rosalind, Isla, Matilda, Harriet, Charlotte + Lillian for girls, and Liam, Mackenzie, Daniel, Charlie, William, and Patrick for boys. We share the same taste in boys names, and I do love Kathleen, Matilda, Harriet, Isla + Rosalind, but not the top of list.

I think my generation is too young for Little House on the Prairie, (and the kids I know who are my age wouldn't appreciate the novels), then again, half of my class didn't know anything about the movie Grease (definite no no considering Grease is my all time favourite and has been since I was about a year old.).

Florence, Edith, Doris, Alice, Elsie, Lillian, Violet, Mabel, Ada, Evelyn
    Eva, Edna, Minnie, Martha, Amelia, Phoebe, Sylvia, Hazel, Agatha, Beatrice

Matthew, Ernest, Louis, Christopher, Andrew, Albert, George, Joshua, James, Harry
    Freddie, Henry, Adam, Teddy, Daniel, Percy, Mark, Walter, Stanley, Liam

when you've been fighting for it all your life, you've been struggling every day and night,
    it's how a superhero learns to fly

First of all, honestly, any name can be picked on given circumstances...mean kids and jealousy and popularity can always come together to cause teasing. Sure, it's slightly less likely with very popular names, but you can't prevent your kids from ever being picked on just by choosing the "right" name.

Second, people are always more afraid of things that are unfamiliar, names included. Everyone has different exposure to names so while one person might think Sophia was a horrible old-fashioned name that would be constantly mocked, another person would say it was uber popular and they'd never force that on their kid, and another would never have heard of it and think it was weird.
    Generally speaking though, the more common a name is, the less likely people are to be shocked by it, but uncommon names are becoming more and more acceptable, so while this generation might mock the next generation might not bat an eyelash.

So, here are the names I'd consider "normal-ish". As in, I wouldn't be surprised to meet one (whether I like the name or not):
    Adelaide
    Augusta
    Beatrice (Betsy)
    Beatrix (Betsy)
    Blythe
    Celeste (Elsie)
    Edith (Edie)
    Elinor
    Eleonora
    Florence
    Fallon
    Iris
    India
    Juliet
    Martha (Maisie)
    Margot
    Marnie
    Merryn (I've never seen this spelling before, but I know several Maren's)
    Nellie
    Nancy
    Ophelia (Elia)
    Olive
    Rosamond (Rosie)
    Vivienne

These are the ones I'd be a bit surprised to meet, but I can see it working okay:
    Agatha (Hattie)
    Athena
    Araminta (Minnie)
    Asteria
    Bronwen
    Bronte
    Clementine (Emmie)
    Delphine
    Eugenie
    Estelle
    Hattie
    Honor/Honora
    Hermione
    Jessamine (Jessa)
    Millicent (Millie)
    Mabel (Belle)
    Marcheline (Marcie)
    Magdalena (Maggie)
    Nerissa
    Olympia (Pia)
    Rowena
    Seraphina
    Soraya
    Tatiana
    Vienna

These are the one's I'd be very surprised to meet and I can imagine them having a bit more problems.
    Ambrosia
    Atalanta
    Cressida
    Cosima
    Dulcie
    Elspeth (Elsie)
    Endelyn/Endellion
    Edeline
    Isolde
    Merewyn/Morwenna
    Morgana
    Orla/Orlaith
    Saffron
    Saskia
    Seren
    Saoirse (sear-sha)

This all comes from my perspective living in California. I know some of these names are far more common in certain countries or cities.
    Last edited by kala_way; August 29th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I agree with kala_way. And I think it really depends on where you live as well- Seren may be considered unusual everywhere else, but it's in the top 10 in Wales and people there would probably be thinking 'not another Seren'.

The ones I think would have the most issues (not just with be mocked, but with spelling and pronunciation too):

Ambrosia
    Atalanta
    Asteria
    Endelyn/Endellion
    Edeline
    Isolde
    Merewyn
    Orlaith
    Soraya

But a British perspective is probably very different from a Canadian one.

I can tell by looking at your list that you have excellent taste in names. It's an awesome list. Just don't discuss baby names with them. This is what I have to do...I don't even reveal what names I'm interested in. That's what sites like this are for! Me and my husband never talked baby names during our 3 pregnancies and just announced the names once the baby arrived. We didn't want input and so we never asked for it!

Keep your beautiful names to yourself and trust that your taste is just better than theirs!

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    And I think it really depends on where you live as well- Seren may be considered unusual everywhere else, but it's in the top 10 in Wales and people there would probably be thinking 'not another Seren'.
    lol, really? That's funny. If I mentioned the name Seren to my mother she'd probably say, "What? That's so weird. Is that like Saran wrap or searin' meat?"

(not sure if you have Saran wrap there, it's just plastic wrap for food)
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin