Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me daydream! Mixing styles/cultures, Margaret vs. Marguerite...

Husband and I don't even have a bun in the oven yet, but already we have roughly 3 names picked out for each gender, making 6 total!

Boys:

Silas Peter (nn Si)
    Theodore James (nn Theo)
    Pascal Kendrick or Pascal Kenneth (nn Pax)

Girls:

Alina Grace (nn Lina, pronounced Lee-nah)
    Rowan Emma (nn Ro)
    Margaret or Marguerite Claire (nn Mari/Mhari, which I know is a Scottish form of Mary, and is part of the reason I like this name!)

I don't think it's all that likely we'll end up with 6 children... it's more about having a range to choose from when we actually meet the child. Hopefully one of the three will feel like it "fits" shortly after birth.

All of the names have at least one piece (FN or MN) with layers of family/personal meaning, and the other piece is generally chosen for sound/beauty/linguistic meaning.

I have a few questions as we ponder, though. Answer as many as you feel like

1. What do you think of the sibling set in general? Just hypothetically, if you did meet a family with these six names, what would your immediate impressions be?

It's not impossible that we might have quite a few kids eventually, and any names not used on the first baby would likely be in heavy consideration for the next. After all, I don't really have favorites among these; I love each one for different reasons.

2. What do you think of the flow of the names? Any that stand out as particularly awkward? We have a 3 syllable last name, first syllable has the accent, starts with W.

3. Which do you prefer, Pascal Kendrick or Pascal Kenneth, and why? Both mn's are honor names; so other suggestions are not really useful here.

4. What do you think of Pascal, really? I adore this name, partly because my mother's maiden name was Easterday... if we have a baby boy near Easter, I will be lobbying hard for little Pax! But it's the least common (in the US) on my list, and my family finds it rather weird. None of them have ever met a Pascal. Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing your own location/background, that would be really helpful on this question.

5. Which do you prefer, Margaret Claire or Marguerite Claire? (Or Clare) I like both. Unfortunately my MIL really dislikes Margaret, saying it sounds harsh. I see her point, and I like the daisy meaning of Marguerite, but I think it's a bit too French for me.

Several of our names already have French usage/French feels, but that's more or less an accident... we take them from the Dutch/German usage. We are Germanic + Scottish in background.

6. Do you think the mix of linguistic backgrounds is a bit much, or does it feel okay?

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Boys

Silas Peter (nn Si) - Both are two-syllables but I like them together.

Theodore James (nn Theo) - Handsome and distinquished.

Pascal Kendrick or Pascal Kenneth (nn Pax) - I prefer Kenneth as it's a little softer. Other options: Pascal James and Theodore Kenneth. I knew a French-Canadian woman named Pascale so I like the name.

Girls:

Alina Grace (nn Lina, pronounced Lee-nah) - The flow is good. I like the French Aline too!

Rowan Emma (nn Ro) - These two names blend into each other and Rowan as a first name is the odd one out. I would feel like the parents did a 180 degree turn in their naming choice . Emma Rowan would "fit" in better with the other five names.

Margaret or Marguerite Claire (nn Mari/Mhari, which I know is a Scottish form of Mary, and is part of the reason I like this name!) - I prefer the French Marguerite better. Many French names are pretty well-established in the English speaking world so Marguerite wouldn't be unusual.

Silas, Theodore, Pascal, Alina, Emma and Marguerite would be my favourite sibset. I like Rowan but it's too contemporary and modern to "match" the vintage style of the other names.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I love the name Pascal, and I agree with Mischa about her favorite sibset. I know a Marguerite in her late 20s who goes my Meg. She is of Irish heritage, but her name goes nicely with her last name. It's a beautiful name with a beautiful meaning. I am a huge fan of French names, Like a lot of Americans I am a "mutt" with a mixed Western European background including French, Dutch, Scottish, Welsh, Belgian and German lineage so I find names with an international flair to be quite adaptable here.

Silas Peter (nn Si)
    Theodore James (nn Theo)
    Pascal Kendrick or Pascal Kenneth (nn Pax)
    Silas and Theodore fit so well, but I hesitate a little on Pascal. I think it can work, though Silas, Theodore, and Kendrick fits better for me. Your mileage will vary, of course.

Alina Grace (nn Lina)
    Rowan Emma (nn Ro) — Agree that Emma Rowan seems to suit better
    Margaret or Marguerite Claire (nn Mari/Mhari) — do you mean Mhairi? I like Margaret better with Silas and Theo, but Marguerite ties in the French of Pascal. I do think it might be a bit much to use a French spelling and a completely-non-intuitive Scottish nickname. Especially because, as I understand it, Mhairi and Mari are forms of Mary, not Margaret. Of the two, I'd go for the nn Mari.

1. I think it fits as a sibset pretty well, and I think each individual name is one that will serve the kid well as a child and an adult. I think you chose well.

2. Pascal and Marguerite, when I say them, have a slight emphasis on the second syllable. If W—— has a starting emphasis and they has a final emphasis it does run together a smidge. Not a big deal and I wouldn't let it stop you.

3. Kendrick, because I feel it balances Pascal's soft flowiness.

4. I'm not sure. Pascal I know is masculine, and I bet if I met a rosy-cheeked, rough-and-tumble little fellow with this name I'd fall in love. But right now it feels a bit feminine, even though I know it's not Pascale. I'm not opposed to it, I just hesitate. I'm in the US, and I grew up around French language and culture a little—language study is my mother's hobby, and now mine.

5. My favorite spelling is Margaret Clare, and it doesn't feel or sound harsh when I say it.

Several of our names already have French usage/French feels, but that's more or less an accident... we take them from the Dutch/German usage. We are Germanic + Scottish in background.

6. It's a little much, but it's okay. The ones that had me raising my eyebrows were Pascal and Mhairi. I really do think Mhairi for Marguerite is a bit much.

1. What do you think of the sibling set in general? Just hypothetically, if you did meet a family with these six names, what would your immediate impressions be? I think Silas, Theodore and Margaret go together beautifully. And Pascal, Rowan and Alina go together well also. The 2 groups don't flow perfectly together stylistically but they aren't bad. If I met a family with all of these names I'd be a bit surprised at the variety, if it was just a portion -- Silas and Rowan for example I'd love it!

2. What do you think of the flow of the names? Any that stand out as particularly awkward? We have a 3 syllable last name, first syllable has the accent, starts with W. Pascal Kendrick is a bit K heavy. Something like Pascal Hendrick might flow a bit better. Rowan Winslow is rather W heavy.

3. Which do you prefer, Pascal Kendrick or Pascal Kenneth, and why? Both mn's are honor names; so other suggestions are not really useful here. Kenneth because of the double rather than triple K sound.

4. What do you think of Pascal, really? I'm in California. It's definitely different and I've never met one, but it's not completely insane. I'd rather meet a Pascal than an Ayidyn.

5. Which do you prefer, Margaret Claire or Marguerite Claire? both are pretty, but they have very different feels. I don't find Margaret harsh and I do find Marguerite frilly, so I guess it's just finding what's the most important to you.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin