Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Braham

Braham

I've been flirting with Bram lately and the pronunciation can go either way for me. The idea occurred to me to explore the spelling Braham (as well as Brahm). It would rhyme with Graham. What do you think?

Would it be usable? Or is it just a bit too porcine lingerie?

Thanks!
    new username @finch

My first instinct was "I love this name! Why isn't this hugely popular?!" But I was pronouncing it like "ah" instead of "a" (like the composer Brahms ... I can't think of how else to describe my pronunciation). If you want it to rhyme with Graham, I'd spell it Bram. I know that makes no sense because of the way Graham is spelled. But when I see Braham and Brahm, I say the middle part "ah" instead.

P.S. I have no idea what you mean by porcine lingerie. I did several interesting google searches regarding pigs and bras, but didn't come up with anything. So I think you're safe from whatever you're referring to.

I like the name Bram a lot actually, but I'm not a huge fan of the Braham spelling; it looks like a misspelling of Graham, or perhaps a nickname or misspelling of Abraham, of which it's one letter off. Due to the proximity to Abraham, some people might pronounce it brah-ham. Brahm is pronounced with a long "ah" sound, like Brahms the composer.
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid

I want to say "bray-um." It would assume it was a surname, not a respelling of Bram.
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by catheyc View Post
    My first instinct was "I love this name! Why isn't this hugely popular?!" But I was pronouncing it like "ah" instead of "a" (like the composer Brahms ... I can't think of how else to describe my pronunciation). If you want it to rhyme with Graham, I'd spell it Bram. I know that makes no sense because of the way Graham is spelled. But when I see Braham and Brahm, I say the middle part "ah" instead.

P.S. I have no idea what you mean by porcine lingerie. I did several interesting google searches regarding pigs and bras, but didn't come up with anything. So I think you're safe from whatever you're referring to.
    I can definitely see Braham being pronounce the same as Brahm. I think I may even prefer it being pronounced that way, honestly

As for the suggestion of the Bram spelling it looks incomplete to me. I can't seem to get past that.

Also, the porcine lingerie was a bit of a joke because of the spelling Braham being composed of the words 'bra' and 'ham'.
    new username @finch